CLEP (College Level Examination Program) at SUNY Plattsburgh
NEW ONLINE PAYMENT SYSTEM!
Now reserving a seat at our center is even easier. See "CLEP Registration Forms & Fees" section below for details.
Earn College Credit Quickly and Affordably!
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to earn college credit by taking just one exam. Visit CLEP’s official “exams offered” webpage for a full list of the 33 subject exam titles, descriptions of test content, and links to sample questions and study guides. For step-by-step information about preparation, scoring, identification, military personnel & veterans, and a downloadable Information for Test Takers guide, visit CLEP’s Exam Day Info online or The College Board’s "Get Started with CLEP."
Testing Schedule at SUNY Plattsburgh
Getting started: To take an exam with us, please complete two separate processes: (1) Register and pay online for a CLEP exam via CLEP’s My Account portal, and (2) complete a Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form with reservation fee as early as possible to secure a seat at our test center.
Reserve with us: After we receive your Test Center Reservation Form and payment, we will communicate with you to the email address you provide to confirm your reservation for your first choice of dates or, if we are full for that day, your alternate date.
Special group sessions: Phone our office (518) 564-2080 if you would like to arrange a special date for your class or group (5 or more) to take the CLEP exam at the same time.
Winter & Spring 2017 Schedule*
CLEP Test Dates & Registration Deadlines
All exams held in Feinberg Library, Rm 129
|Day & Date of Test
||Test Center Reservation
Form Rec’d By…
|Fri Mar 3
||Wed Feb 22
|Fri Apr 14
||Wed Apr 5
|Fri Apr 28
||Wed Apr 19
|Fri May 5
||Wed Apr 26
|Fri Jun 9
||Fri Jun 2
|Wed Jun 14
||Wed Jun 7
|Wed Jul 26
||Wed July 19
|Fri Aug 11
||Fri Aug 4
* Other select dates may be reserved to accommodate regional HS groups. Contact us if your area high school classes would like to take CLEP tests for college credit. Common examples are French, Spanish, College Composition, Economics, Precalculus..
CLEP Registration Forms & Fees
There are two separate fees and registration processes:
NEED a CLEP ACCOUNT?
You may start your account on The College Board website, clicking on either “Create an Account,” or GET STARTED WITH CLEP.
Phone (518) 564-2080 if you would like to arrange for CLEP testing as a college credit option for your students.
- $80 (US$) CLEP Exam Fee (this fee “buys” a CLEP test)
- All CLEP exam payments/registrations must be made online through CLEP’s My Account portal.
- It is advisable to buy your CLEP exam online, and read about and prepare for test content, prior to the day of your test. CLEP test tickets are good for six months.
- SAVE $5 by booking by June 30. (CLEP informed us their exam fee goes up to $85 July 1.)
- $65 (US$) Plattsburgh Test Center Administration Fee (this fee is necessary in order to reserve a seat at our center on a particular test day)
- There are two payment options:
- Credit card, via our online CashNet payment system, OR
- Money order only (no personal checks) made payable to SUNY Plattsburgh.
- If you’re taking an exam with optional essay, or need special testing accommodations, make arrangements with us a minimum of two weeks prior to the test date (30 days notice will permit ease of accommodations).
- The SUNY Plattsburgh test center uses a unique reservation form to reserve a seat for one of our exams. Please download the Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Instructions (PDF file size is 152KB), then...
- Download the Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form (PDF file size 434KB) Note: Test takers may only register for one exam per test date, per reservation form.
- Paying your Plattsburgh Test Center Administration fee by credit card? Fax your completed Plattsburgh Test Center Reservation Form to 518.564.2079, OR scan your form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR mail or hand deliver to:
Academic Advising Office
101 Feinberg Library
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Paying your Plattsburgh Test Center Administration fee by money order? Enclose your $65 money order with your Reservation Form and mail to the above address.
- No personal checks, please. Note: This fee is nonrefundable.
- Changes/Cancellations: You may change a reservation for exam date only once. This change must take place at least 3 business days before your scheduled exam date. Candidates who do change a scheduled exam date with three or more business days notice must pay a $20 rescheduling fee (payable by credit card online or by money order to “SUNY Plattsburgh”). Test candidates who change/cancel fewer than three business days (72 business hours) prior to the exam date, or who do not show for a registered exam, will not be refunded for the test center administration fee. If this is your case, you are welcome to reserve a seat with us again at a future date, and will be required to pay the test center administration fee again.
Reminders and Receiving Credit
- Prior to testing, you should investigate your own institution’s acceptance policy and passing score requirements. Some institutions use default qualifying scores as determined by the American Council on Education (ACE).
- For SUNY Plattsburgh students, see our Transfer Credit Equivalencies Admissions page for an idea of the kinds of courses satisfied by CLEP exams. Choose “CLEP” from the Credit by Examination drop down menu, and “Go.” SUNY Plattsburgh largely follows the ACE Credit Recommendations table as a guiding framework. Please contact SUNY Plattsburgh Admissions Office if you have questions about SUNY Plattsburgh course credits honored through satisfactory CLEP scores.
- You will receive an unofficial score report from our test center immediately following your exam (except for essays). Official transcripts are sent by CLEP to your institution within 4–6 weeks.
- CLEP exams are computer-based.
- Our test center operates on a first reserved, first served basis.
- You may not sit for a CLEP exam until both the test center administrative fee and the CLEP test fee have been paid.
- Candidates need 1 form of identification on the day of the exam.
- The identification must be a government-issued photo ID with signature, such as a passport, state-issued ID card, driver’s license, military ID, tribal ID, naturalization card or certificate of citizenship.
- If you are a minor and/or home-schooled without government-issued ID, CLEP provides a student ID form. Print and complete the Student ID Form (a .pdf document); the form is valid for one year, must include a recent photo, and requires school district verification or notary seal overlapping the photo.
Have a question that needs an answer fast? Take a look at CLEP Frequently Asked Questions.
CLEP at SUNY Plattsburgh
Academic Advising Office
Office Location: Feinberg 101-103
Phone: (518) 564-2080
Fax: (518) 564-2079