Dr. Neil Buckley
Chair of Biological Sciences
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
I have wide-ranging interests in animal behavior, ornithology and evolution and I teach a diverse array of classes in these areas including BIO208 Evolution, BIO209 Vertebrate Zoology and BIO323 Invertebrate Zoology.
My primary research focus is on foraging behavior and, in particular, the decision-making processes of foraging animals. I have carried out research on the foraging behavior of vultures and cormorants and most recently the breeding biology of grassland birds. I am also interested in the ectoparasites of small mammals.
- Ph.D. University of Oklahoma
- M.Sc. University College Cork, Ireland
- B.Sc. University College Cork, Ireland
- Foraging behavior and the decision-making processes of foraging animals
- Breeding biology of grassland birds
- Ectoparasitology of small mammals
- Fajardo, N., Strong, A., Perlut, N., & Buckley, N. J. (2009). Natal and breeding dispersal of Bobolinks (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) and Savannah Sparrows (Passerculus sandwichensis) in an agricultural landscape. The Auk, 126(2), 310–318.
- Perlut, N. G., Strong, A.M., Donovan, T. M., & Buckley, N. J. (2008). Regional population viability of grassland songbirds: Effects of agricultural management. Biological Conservation, 141(12), 3139–3151.
- Perlut, N. G., Strong, A.M., Donovan, T. M., & Buckley, N. J. (2008). Grassland songbird survival and recruitment in heterogeneous agricultural landscapes: implications for source-sink demography. Ecology, 89(7), 1941–1952.
- Stuart, P., Mirimin L., Cross T. F., Sleeman D. P., Buckley N. J., Telfer S., Birtles R. J., Kotlík P., & Searle J. B. (2007) The origin of Irish Bank Voles Clethrionomys glareolus assessed by mitochondrial DNA analysis. The Irish Naturalists’ Journal, 28(11), 440–446.
- Perlut, N. G., Strong, A. M., Donovan, T. M. and Buckley N. J. (2006). Grassland songbirds in a dynamic management landscape: behavioral responses and management strategies. Ecological Applications, 16(6), 2235–2247.
- Troy, A. R., Strong, A. M., Bosworth, S. C., Donovan, T. M., Buckley N. J. & Wilson, M. L. (2005). Attitudes of dairy farmers regarding adoption of management practices for grassland songbirds. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 33(2), 528–538.
Office: Hudson Hall 221
Phone: (518) 564-5165