Biological Sciences Faculty — Dr. Neil Buckley
Associate Professor, Chair
I have wide-ranging interests in animal behavior, ornithology and evolution and I teach a diverse array of classes in these areas including BIO208 Evolution, BIO209 Vertebrate Zoology and BIO323 Invertebrate Zoology.
My primary research focus is on foraging behavior and, in particular, the decision-making processes of foraging animals. I have carried out research on the foraging behavior of vultures and cormorants and most recently the breeding biology of grassland birds. I am also interested in the ectoparasites of small mammals.
- Ph.D. University of Oklahoma
- M.Sc. University College Cork, Ireland
- B.Sc. University College Cork, Ireland
- Foraging behavior and the decision-making processes of foraging animals
- Breeding biology of grassland birds
- Ectoparasitology of small mammals
- Fajardo, N., Allan M. Strong, Noah, G. Perlut and Neil J. Buckley (2009). Natal and breeding dispersal of bobolinks (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) and savannah sparrows (Passerculus sandwichensis) in an agricultural landscape. The Auk 126: 310-318.
- Perlut, Noah, G. Allan M. Strong, Therese M. Donovan, Neil J. Buckley (2008). Regional population viability of grassland songbirds: Effects of agricultural management. Biological Conservation 141: 3139-3151.
- Perlut, Noah G. Allan M. Strong, Therese M. Donovan and Neil J. Buckley (2008). Grassland songbird survival and recruitment in heterogeneous agricultural landscapes: implications for source-sink demography. Ecology: 89(7): 1941-1952.
- Stuart, P., L. Mirimin, T.F. Cross, D.P. Sleeman, Neil J. Buckley, S. Telfer, R.J. Birtles, P. Kotlík, J.B. Searle. (2007) The origin of Irish bank voles Clethrionomys glareolus assessed by mitochondrial DNA analysis. Irish Naturalist’s Journal. 28(11) 440-446.
- Perlut, N. G., A. M. Strong, T. M. Donovan, and Neil J. Buckley (2006). Grassland songbirds in a dynamic management landscape: behavioral responses and management strategies. Ecological Applications. 16(6): 2235-2247.
- Troy, A. R., A. M. Strong, S. C. Bosworth, T. M. Donovan, Neil J. Buckley and M. L. Wilson (2005). Attitudes of dairy farmers regarding adoption of management practices for grassland songbirds. Wildlife Society Bulletin 33(2) 528-538.
Office: Hudson Hall 221
Phone: (518) 564-5165