Counselor Education Faculty — Dr. Stephen G. Saiz
Director, Counseling Services Clinic
- Ed.D., University of South Dakota.
- M.Ed. in Guidance and Counseling, University of Alaska.
- California Teaching Credential, University of San Francisco.
- B.A. in Philosophy, University of Santa Clara.
Dr. Saiz is a parent to two wonderful daughters, Hannah and Leah, and experiences the encouraging support of his wife, Michele. He has been employed as a primary, intermediate and high school teacher in Alaska and on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Prior to returning to school for doctoral studies in 1996 he was a K-12 school counselor. He was staff counselor at the University of South Dakota Student Counseling Center.
- Counseling Practicum.
- Counseling Children and Adolescents.
- Family Therapy.
- Adlerian Psychology and Counseling Tactics.
- Couseling Relationships and Skills.
- Assessment for Counselors.
Dr. Saiz' style is predominantly Adlerian. It is a belief that human beings are capable of reflecting on themselves and their social context. The individual's reflection on his/her social context results in goal oriented and purposeful behaviors. Mental health is characterized as exhibiting behaviors that strive towards social usefulness and contribution. Psychotherapy encourages the client to reconstruct basic assumptions about one's self and the world towards greater self-esteem and usefulness.
Adlerian Psychology, adoption issues, attachment disorders, bibliotherapy, counselor supervision, grief issues, parent education, school counseling, the use of humor counseling, and the use of metaphor in counseling.
Whitewater rafting, hiking and camping.
Certifications and Licensures
- National Certified Counselor (NCE).
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC, South Dakota).
- Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS).
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (NY).
- American Counseling Association (ACA).
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES).
- Chi Sigma Iota.
- North American Society of Adlerian Psychology (NASAP).
- Northeast NY Counseling Association (NENYCA).
Awards & Honors
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (2009).
- Dean's Award for Outstanding Teaching in Professional Studies.
- E. Gordon Poling Scholarship for Academic Excellence.
- Mary Gordon Memorial Scholarship for Outstanding Native American Student.
- Crazy Horse Memorial Scholarship.
- North American Society of Adlerian Psychology Scholarship for contributions to the field of Adlerian Psychology.
Office: Ward 107F
Office Phone: 564-4170