English Faculty — Jose L. Torres-Padilla
- Ph.D., University of Southern California (1994).
- M.A., University of Southern California.
- M.F.A., Columbia University.
- B.A., Vassar College.
- American Literature; U.S. Latino/a and Ethnic Literatures.
- Creative Writing.
- Rhetoric and Composition.
- Literary Theory.
Research and Publications
- Rican Recall: A Novel, Arte Publico Press, forthcoming, 2014.
- The Family Terrorist and Other Stories, Arte Publico Press, 2008.
- Writing Off The Hyphe: New Perspectives on the Literature of the Puerto Rican Diaspora. Co-Edited with Carmen Haydee Rivera, U. of Washington Press, 2008.
- Selected Essays
- "“Los Pollitos Come Home to Roost: Of Diaspora, Remigrants, Caribeño Counterstream and Cultural Remittances.” Review of The Diaspora Strikes Back: Caribeño Tales of Learning and Turning” by Juan Flores. In Latino(a) Research Review. 7.1&2 (2009-2010): 122-26.
- “When Hybridity Doesn’t Resist: Giannina Braschi’s Yo-Yo Boing.” In Complicating Constructions: Race, Ethnicity, and Hybridity in American Texts. David Goldstein-Shirley and Audrey Thacker, Editors. U. of Washington Press, 2007. 290-307.
- “Death to the Originary Narrative! or Insurgent Multiculturalism and Teaching Multiethnic Literature.” MELUS, 30.2 (Summer, 2005).
- “Confronting the ‘Screaming Baboon’: Notes on Race, Literature and Pedagogy.” In Race and the College Classroom Rutgers University Press, 2002: 213-225.
- “When ‘I’ Became Ethnic: Ethnogenesis and Three Early Puerto Rican Writers.” Centro: The Journal of the Center for Puerto Rican Studies. 14.2 Fall, 2002: 181-197.
Poetry and fiction in various journals, including The Americas Review, The Connecticut Review, Puerto del Sol, Crab Orchard Review, Denver Quarterly, Karamu, The Bilingual Review, Epicenter, Tulane Review, and the anthology, Growing Up Latino.
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, Barcelona, Spain, 2011.
- CCCC Scholars for the Dream Award.
- Grant from Recovering the US Hispanic Literary Heritage Project.
Office: Champlain Valley Hall 212
Phone: (518) 564-2413