Foreign Language Placement Exams
Placement exams for French and Spanish are given during Summer Orientation. Please visit Student Orientation’s website for the exam schedule.
Results: Each student taking the exam at orientation will be assigned an exam number. Results will be posted prior to course registration according to exam number. Results will also be posted on Degree Works.
- These exams are optional and only for students who: 1) have had two or less years of high school foreign language; 2) wish to be placed beyond a level of language commensurate with their high school transcripts; and 3) have not taken college-level language courses. Any student with two or less years of a foreign language in high school will be placed in the entry level course.
- Any student who has taken three consecutive years of a foreign language in grades 9–12 may be placed in Spanish, German, Italian, or Arabic 112 or 151, or in FRE150.
- Students having CAPP credit or foreign language credit from another college need not take the placement examination and will be placed based in the college level completed.
Continuing students who wish to take the placement exam should contact the Modern Languages and Cultures Department at ext. 3829 during the first week of classes. We will arrange to provide examinations to those students in our departmental offices.
Please note: Students receive zero (0) credits for satisfying these requirements through the placement exam.
Students who desire credit for their foreign language proficiency should arrange to take one of the following exams. For dates, time, and location, please contact the Office of Academic Advising at (518) 564-2080.
- The CLEP Exam (College-Level Examination Program), which offers up to 12 credits, can be taken in French, German or Spanish.
- Students who desire credit in languages other than French, German or Spanish should take the NYU Exam (New York University Exam), which is available in 53 languages and also offers up to 12 credits.
If the student passes any of the exams at the 112/150 level or higher, the student will satisfy the GE5 requirement and the one-year foreign language requirement for education majors.
MLC Courses Offered:
- FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/ARA 111 is strictly for beginners, or for students with no more than 2 years of high school language knowledge.
- FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/ARA 112 should only be taken by students who have passed 111. Successful completion of level 112 satisfies SUNY Plattsburgh’s GE5 Foreign Language requirement. It also satisfies the one-year foreign language requirement for Education majors.
- FRE/SPA 150 is for those with three years of high school French or Spanish, or the equivalent in life experience. FRE/SPA 150 covers material equivalent to FRE/SPA 111 and FRE/SPA 112 combined. At the completion of FRE/SPA112 or 150, students will be prepared for entrance into FRE/SPA213. Successful completion of FRE/SPA 150 satisfies the GE5 Foreign Language requirement. It also satisfies the one-year foreign language requirement for Education majors. (Please note: There is no GER 150 equivalent; students should take GER 112.)
- FRE/GER/SPA 213 is a second-year course, normally reserved for those who have passed level 112 or 150, or for those with at least four years of high school French, German, or Spanish. Placement into 213 can be accomplished through the Placement Exam or through the CLEP or NYU exams.
For more information about the modern languages and cultures program at SUNY Plattsburgh please contact:
Dr. Isabel Arredondo
Office: Champlain Valley Hall 308
Phone: (518) 564-3840
Department of Modern Languages and Cultures