Professional Science Master's in Environmental Science Study Option
The professional science master's is a study option within the Master of Science that:
- Prepares you for work involved in active science — outside academia;
- Combines technical competencies with workforce skills, e.g. management, policy, communications, law — “Science Plus!”;
- Leads to a wider variety of career options than provided by traditional graduate programs — jobs in business, government, non-profit sectors.
This program is designed for students who are:
- Seeking career advancement in government, industry, and technology;
- Looking to gain a competitive edge in the job market;
- Re-entering the workforce looking to refine professional and technical skills;
- Seeking career growth.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Natural Science, Professional Science Master's in Environmental Science
The new professional science master’s study option will provide training in leadership/business skills as well as in-depth science coursework so that graduates may pursue environmental agency or private industry careers.
The degree requires 30 credits, including a required internship experience.
The degree includes 9 credit hours in leadership skills and 15 credits in science coursework, as well as a 6 credit applied internship with a program partner.
Internship partners include the New York Department of Environmental Conservation, the Adirondack Park Agency, and regional private industry.
The PSM study option prepares for you careers in:
- Non-academic sectors;
- Interdisciplinary careers;
- Team oriented environments;
- Managerial or other professional level positions;
- Emerging areas of science and scientific discovery.
If you would like more information about natural science at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Timothy B. Mihuc, Coordinator
Office: Beaumont Hall 207
Phone: (518) 564-3038
Fax: (518) 564-3036