New Program at the Queensbury Campus!
RN to B.S. Program Options
Exceptional Learning Opportunities in a Supportive Environment
Our Program Option Allows You To:
- Choose to earn your degree either online or at the Queensbury campus.
- Apply your prior RN education toward a bachelor’s degree.
- Have superior opportunities with partner agencies throughout New York State.
- Advance in your career.
- Complete your degree in four semesters (2 years).
- Be eligible to apply to graduate school.
- Work while you earn your B.S.
- Obtain your degree close to home.
Registered Nurse (RN) to Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Nursing Program Option
The RN to B.S. program is designed for RNs who hold an associate’s degree or a diploma in nursing and wish to grow personally and professionally, expand career opportunities, or prepare for graduate study by studying for a bachelor’s degree in nursing. All online nursing courses are taught by SUNY Plattsburgh faculty with any required clinical experiences provided at regional institutions.
Study Fully Online
An early leader in distance education, SUNY Plattsburgh offers all classes online. We are partners in Open SUNY a SUNY-wide collaboration that enables learning opportunities through the 64 institutions in the SUNY system giving our students access to world-class online-enabled learning opportunities.
Study in Queensbury
Take courses where you live and work. SUNY Plattsburgh now offers RN to B.S. classes at the Queensbury Campus! Benefits are:
- Connect! Take courses at our convenient campus in Queensbury. Enjoy connecting with nurses from Queensbury, Glens Fall, Saratoga, and the Capital region.
- Benefit from meeting with classmates and faculty face-to-face in the nursing courses.
- Designed with consideration of the unique challenges of working nurses.
- 26 nursing credits offered on site, including Health Assessment, Health Promotion, Research, Informatics, Theory, Public Health, and Leadership and Management.
- Progressive. We provide a contemporary learning environment with access to the internet, online databases and full-text resources from the Plattsburgh campus.
- Contact us! Seats are still available.
Best-Ever Support Team
Whether you choose to complete your degree in either format we have an outstanding support team that will help you plan a program that is right for your needs. We will guide you in creating a program plan that fits your needs.
R.N. to B.S. Option Admission Requirements
Admission to the program is competitive and contingent on academic qualifications and available space. Students are considered transfer applicants and may be granted a maximum of 67 two-year college credits. Students with prior four-year college credits may transfer an additional 17 credits—that’s 84 total credits! An applicant to the registered nurse option must:
- Be a graduate of a nursing program that is approved by the legal body that registers nursing programs in the state or Canadian province in which the program is located.
- Have current licensure as a Registered Nurse in New York State. Students awaiting the results of the licensing examination taken for the first time will be admitted; continuance of study in the registered nurse option track, however, will be contingent upon passing the licensing examination.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent is required for admission to the major. This requirement may be waived in exceptional cases by the chairperson of the nursing program.
- Hold an unencumbered license as an RN in New York State.
- Have completed SUNY Transfer Path courses (Composition I, Intro to Psych, Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology I & II with labs) .
In addition to the Progression Policy listed for traditional students, RN-to-B.S. students must:
- Take NUR 350 prior to senior level (400-level) nursing courses.
- Complete the program within six years of beginning the first nursing course. This requirement may be waived in exceptional cases by the chairperson of the Department of Nursing.
If you would like more information about nursing at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Noreen M. Houck, Ph.Dc., M.S., RN, CNE, Chairperson
Department of Nursing and Nutrition
Office: Hawkins Hall 209B
Phone: (518) 564-3124
Fax: (518) 564-3100
Department of Nursing and Nutrition
Plattsburgh, NY 12901