Dr. Harvey Schantz
Chairperson of Political Science
Professor of Political Science
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Johns Hopkins University (1978)
- M.A. in Political Science, Johns Hopkins University (1975)
- B.A. in Political Science, Brooklyn College (1973)
- U.S. National Politics
- U.S. Congress & Presidency
- U.S. Political Parties & Interest Groups
- U.S. Public Opinion & Voting Behavior
- Seminar on Elections
- Edited Books
- American Presidential Elections: Process, Policy, and Political Change (Albany: SUNY Press, 1996).
- Politics in an Era of Divided Government: Elections and Governance in the Second Clinton Administration (New York: Routledge, 2001).
- Media Interviews on Current Elections/Politics
Over 200 on the record media interviews with more than thirty outlets, on the local, campus, and out of the region/national levels.
- Since 2014, media credits include
- Newspapers-Press Republican, Times Union, Associated Press and washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix
- Television-Fox 44/ABC 22 Local News, WPTZ TV, and WCAX TV
- Radio-WAMC Northeast Public Radio and Vermont Public Radio
- On Campus-Cardinal Points and Big Ideas Blog, SUNY.edu
- Recent Scholarly Papers at New York State Political Science Association
- “Public Approval of NY State Governors: Partisan Evaluations of Pataki, Spitzer, and Paterson,” Saratoga Springs, 2010.
- “Inter-Party Competition for Congressional Seats in NY State,” Niagara, 2011.
- “Voting Behavior in NY State Gubernatorial Elections,” Staten Island, 2012.
- “The Effectiveness of Party Designations in NY Statewide Nominations,” Syracuse, 2013.
- “Inter-Party Competition for Congressional Seats: The 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s,” Plattsburgh, 2015.
- “After the 17th Amendment (1913): Party and Incumbency in U.S. Senate Elections in NY State,” New Paltz, 2016.
Selected Honors & Activities
- American Political Science Association Congressional Fellow, Capitol Hill, 1977–1978
- Yale University Visiting Fellow, New Haven, 1985–1986
- Cited by Associate Justice Antonin Scalia in U.S. Supreme Court case of New York State Board of Elections v. Lopez Torres, 552 U.S. 196 (2008)
- Vice-President, New York State Political Science Association, 2015–2017
Office: 149C Hawkins Hall
Phone: (518) 564-5826