Study Abroad & Exchanges

Get Started

Resources for Students

Information For

Contact Us

FAQs about the Study Abroad and Exchange Programs

Q: Does my financial aid apply when I study abroad?

Since SUNY students are officially registered at their home campuses, state-based financial aid is generally applicable, as are most forms of federal aid. Financial aid should be processed by the student's home campus. Non-SUNY students should consult with their home institution's financial aid office for eligibility requirements and procedures. Make an appointment with your financial aid office, as soon as you consider studying abroad. Students must allow adequate time to process financial aid forms for overseas programs.

Return to top

Q: Are there any scholarships?

Some scholarships are available through Study Abroad and Exchanges and other institutions. Students should research all options through their financial aid offices. For a short list of some available scholarships please our scholarship information page.

Return to top

Q: Can I work overseas?

Earning wages for work while you are abroad under a student visa is most often prohibited. Your student visa authorizes only living and learning in your host country. Some countries will allow part-time jobs on-campus, and only while school is in session.  Budget for your trip based on money that you have earned prior to your departure and do not rely on earning money while you are abroad.

Return to top

Q: Does the Study Abroad Program send the passport and visa forms?

No.  You are responsible for getting an updated passport that is valid until 6 months after the expected end date of your program. If you need help locating the application form or working through the process, please ask us for help.  If you do not already have a passport, get one now!  You need a passport in hand before you can apply for a visa.  In some countries, getting a visa can take many weeks or even months.

Visa rules vary according to the country you are visiting.  We can guide and support you as you apply for your visa, and in many cases we can also provide detailed instructions and application forms. You should note that it is your responsibility to secure the travel documents that you need for your specific study abroad program. If you have questions or concerns, please ask us for help.

Return to top

Q: What happens if I get sick when I'm away from home?

In Australia and Canada a student becomes part of the national health care plan, receiving the same care as the citizens of the country. Participants in Australian and Canadian programs will be required to carry the Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation portion of the SUNY health insurance policy as the national insurance plans do not provide this necessary benefit.

In other programs, the SUNY insurance covers medical care. A medical evacuation and repatriation benefit is included in the SUNY coverage in the case of a medical crisis. If you have any allergies, be sure to carry identification on your person at all times, indicating the specific nature of the allergies, and spelling out clearly what must be done should you be unable to communicate this information yourself. In the event that you become significantly ill or injured, please contact your host institution's study abroad office and us as soon as safely possible.

Return to top

Q: Will I be able to fill my prescriptions overseas?

It is wise to take a supply of medications adequate for the duration of your program with you from home, and it is a good idea to advise the on-site coordinator of any special needs that you may have. Filling a prescription in another country, as in the United States, requires a visit to a physician. University health clinics will be able to help you with medications, and with locating a pharmacy.

You must bring your prescription(s) with you as evidence that the medication has been prescribed to you by a physician. In a very few cases certain medications will not be allowed into certain countries. For more information, consult the CDC and the embassy web site of your host country.

Return to top

Q: What happens when I arrive in a foreign country?

Most, but not all, host universities will offer an airport pick-up, as requested by the student. If airport pick-up is offered at your host university, you must return the form by the stated deadline. If you fail to do so the university may be unable to retrieve you and you will have to find your own way to campus. Host institutions also most often offer temporary housing options, until permanent quarters are found, but students must complete all of the appropriate paperwork to meet accommodation deadlines. Host institutions will provide a comprehensive orientation to the university and its services as well as to the surrounding area, including topics such as safety and security and how to accomplish common tasks.

Return to top

Q: How do I register for classes overseas?

In most cases you will be required to choose classes and submit a proposed course of study with your application. Our partner universities attempt to pre-register you whenever possible. All universities have an orientation program for international students. It is the students' responsibility to learn about the orientation and the registration process, and to arrive in time to get acquainted with the university before classes start. The orientation also helps to establish contact with other international students.

Before you finalize your class schedule you must ensure that you receive written approval (this can take the form of an email) from your advisor or department chair as appropriate for any courses that vary from the schedule that you submitted with your Permission to Attend an Off-Campus Study Program form (Plattsburgh students) or the courses for which you got approval at your home campus (non-Plattsburgh students). Please forward this proof to our office so that we can note the change(s) in your file.

Return to top

Q: Will I be able to travel on my holidays?

Absolutely! Travel is a big part of the study abroad experience. Be sure to figure funds for personal travel into your budget. Travel expenses are not part of our cost estimates and we do not offer travel advice. For travel advice, contact your local travel agency. Many universities also have student travel services and outing clubs for inexpensive trips to points of interest and into the countryside.

Return to top

Q: Can I take any classes that I want to take when I am in a study abroad program?

All of the universities have a broad range of course offerings, but some universities have restrictions on certain divisions. For instance, a business, engineering, or pre-med student might not find space available at an overseas university for their particular distribution requirements. Before making a course selection, all students must study the offerings at the host university, and consult with their academic advisor at their home college to assure that they will meet their requirements for credit.

Return to top

Q: What is the "catering" of meals?

"Self-catered" housing means that there is no meal plan. Shared kitchens or reasonably priced restaurants are available. "Catered" housing means that some meals are provided, and "fully-catered" housing means that all meals are included.

Return to top

Q: What does it mean if a room is "en-suite ?"

"En-suite" indicates that rooms have their own bathroom facilities. "Standard" rooms have shared facilities.

Return to top

Q: How do I know when the semesters begin and end in Australia if their seasons are the opposite of ours?

The academic year follows the calendar year: Semester 1 usually starts in February or March and runs to June or July. Semester 2 begins in July and runs to November or December. Bond University and the International College of Management have an academic calendar similar to that of the United States, with trimesters beginning in January, May and September.

Return to top

Q: Can I bring my cell phone?

You can bring it, but you might not be able to re-charge it or use it. Cell phones in other regions of the world often operate on systems incompatible with U.S. cell phone providers. Additionally, given the difference in voltage and electrical connections, battery chargers often do not function well or at all in other countries. The same may be true for your laptop computer. Electrical systems in foreign countries are not compatible with the system of the United States, so all small appliances (like your hair dryer, iron, electric shaver) need converters. You can purchase the converter ahead of time, or buy the appliances that you need upon arrival.

Return to top

Q: Are there restrictions on what I can bring back to the United States?

Yes. Since September 11, the customs and immigration officials are very vigilant. You should receive customs information on your outbound flight. If you do not, please ask a flight attendant or immigration officer for information on US customs regulations so that you can plan for your return. Review this information carefully, both for departure and reentry into the United States. Allow adequate time for checking in at the airport, both while leaving and returning. The new security measures can be extensive and time-consuming.

Return to top

Q: What is the best way to handle my money while I am overseas?

Many people still like to use travelers' checks. If you purchase these, be sure to get denominations that are large enough, so that you don't incur unnecessary bank fees for every transaction.

You may find that bringing a bank check (issued by a large international bank) in the currency of your host country and opening a bank account with these funds is a good option for you. This will allow you quick access to your money, give you a safe place to store it, and you will avoid often expensive international transaction fees.

ATM's are widespread throughout the world, and cash withdrawals with a credit card or a debit card are very easy. Make sure that you use a debit card with the symbol of a major credit card on it as ATM systems vary and the major credit card companies are the most universally recognized. Be careful to ask your bank what the ATM transaction fees will be as they can be quite expensive.

Return to top

Q: Can I use a credit card in another country?

Yes, this is a good time to consider getting a credit card in your name if you do not have one already. All major credit cards are widely accepted overseas. A "cap" can be placed on the amount charged, to avoid excessive spending and debt. Keep a separate list of credit and debit card account numbers and customer service telephone numbers (also for travelers' checks and all personal ID papers) for emergency replacement. Loss or theft of a card abroad can be a huge inconvenience when you are traveling. Even with a credit card, you will encounter businesses that require cash for transactions.

Return to top

Q: Can I vote when I am overseas?

For information on voting while abroad, please visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program's website.

Return to top


Questions, Comments, Suggestions?

If you would like more information about study abroad and exchange opportunities at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact us at:

Global Education Office
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Toll-Free Phone: (800) 388-6784
Fax: (518) 564-3292

Location: We are on the second floor of the Kehoe Administration Building on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus.