Study Abroad & Exchanges

Get Started

Resources for Students

Information For

Contact Us

Information for Students Who Have Accepted Placement in a Study Abroad Program

Not long after you receive your placement offers from the programs that approve your application, comes the day when you will have to make an important choice. The information on this page is most useful for students who have already applied, received a placement offer, and selected which program they will attend for their upcoming study abroad experience.

Once you have selected a specific program abroad, you can start getting excited about your new host country and begin to learn about the new culture you will live in. As you can imagine, there are many details that you need to carefully plan before you leave. Many students head straight to the internet to book airfare after accepting a placement. We advise you to wait to do this until you have confirmed the start and end dates of your program and the availability of any housing that you may arrange.

In the meantime, here are several things you can do to help you prepare for your trip:

Get Your Passport Updated

If you do not have a current passport you must begin the process of applying for one immediately. The current cost of a new U.S. Passport is $135. Please check with the U.S. Department of State for the most updated information about documentation, costs, and processing time. You should plan on locating official poof of residency (such as your birth certificate) and allow 6 or more weeks for the government to process your application. It is your responsibility to obtain the necessary travel documents that you need to live abroad for an extended period of time. In many cases you will need to apply to your host country for a student visa, and you cannot do this until you first have your valid passport in hand. If you are not a U.S. citizen please speak with your home school's immigration officer to find out what you need to do.

If you do have a passport, locate it and check the expiration date. If the passport expires within 6 months after the last day of your study abroad program, you need to apply now to renew it before you leave.

Credit and Grade Conversion Information

Some Plattsburgh study away programs may utilize a different academic system.  Credits and/or grades for these programs will be converted to the equivalent at SUNY Plattsburgh upon receipt of the academic transcript.  All study away students must earn the equivalent of a C or above to earn credit.  Please see below for those programs that require conversion.  Students participating on a non-Plattsbugh program should contact the administering SUNY campus for converstion information. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

The Office of Study Abroad and Exchanges holds a mandatory pre-departure orientation at the end of each semester for students who will go abroad during the following term. It is very important that you make time to attend one of these sessions in order to ensure the best possible experience while abroad, and to make your re-entry back to campus happen smoothly.  Date, location and time information is available in the What's New section of the website.

Explore Resources On Campus

In most cases your student status at SUNY Plattsburgh will remain active while you are abroad. Although you will not be studying on our campus, the various offices that serve you here need to keep track of where you are so that you will maintain your degree-seeking status and eligibility for things like financial aid.

Travel Resources

One of the biggest non-academic expenses of study abroad is airfare and travel to and from your host country. It is highly likely that you will want to travel around your host region to experience all that it has to offer, so start looking at public transportation options now. You will get an international student identity card from our office as part of your acceptance package. This card will be your key to getting discounted student rates while you are abroad.



Questions, Comments, Suggestions?

If you would like more information about study abroad and exchange opportunities at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact us at:

Global Education Office
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Toll-Free Phone: (800) 388-6784
Fax: (518) 564-3292

Location: We are on the second floor of the Kehoe Administration Building on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus.