Accepted Student Information

Returning Student Information

Study Abroad & Exchanges

Registrar Advice for Study Abroad and National Student Exchange

Attention Non-Plattsburgh Students

This information applies to normal SUNY Plattsburgh students only. If you are attending a SUNY Plattsburgh study abroad program and are from another campus, you must visit your home campus' study abroad office and/or registrar to find out what you must do to transfer your credit there and keep your matriculation while away.

For SUNY Plattsburgh Students

Having the credit you earn on a SUNY study abroad or National Student Exchange program evaluated is easy... if you follow these simple guidelines:

  1. Talk to your advisor at every step. Your advisor is in charge of helping you complete your academic program at SUNY Plattsburgh. Talk your advisor about your interest in studying abroad or participating in the National Student Exchange early on. Work with your advisor to find a semester or year in your schedule that is most logical for studying off-campus (i.e. one that is flexible). Establish what specific courses or types of courses you need while abroad to remain on track for timely completion of your degree.
  2. Choose a program that offers a broad range of courses in your major. For example, if you are an education major, do not choose a school with no education department. If you have to take very specific courses, make sure that you have a back up plan in case you cannot get into them.
  3. Complete the Permission for Off-Campus Study Form. We will include a copy of this form in the first packet of information your receive after applying. On it, you will make a list of courses that you want to take at your host institution. Take this list of courses and course descriptions from your host institution's website to your advisor. Your advisor will indicate on the form how these course will meet your requirements here. Next, the chair of your department must also sign the form. Finally, the Financial Aid and Global Education Office must also sign the form. Helpful Tip: Have more courses evaluated than you can take. We suggest having a minimum of eight courses evaluated in case you are not able to get into a course or want to drop one and add another!
  4. If your final schedule differs in any way from the courses on this form, tell your advisor and department chair immediately! You should not make changes to your schedule without your advisor's prior approval. If you must for some reason, you should e-mail your advisor and department chair immediately. Inform them of the new courses you will be taking and ask that they evaluate them on a new Permission for Off-Campus Study Form. and then send the form to the Global Education Office for signing. We will then send it to the registrar for you. You can also complete the process after your return, but you will not have a guarantee on how they will transfer until after your program is over!
  5. Be responsible for yourself! Your credits are your responsibility. Do not assume that they will magically transfer without any effort on your part.
  6. When in doubt... ask. If you have questions, ask your advisor, ask the department chair, ask us, ask the registrar... Never leave questions unasked.

Questions, Comments, Suggestions?

If you would like more information about study abroad and exchange opportunities at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact us at:

Global Education Office
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Toll-Free Phone: (800) 388-6784
Fax: (518) 564-3292

Location: We are on the second floor of the Kehoe Administration Building on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus.