Study Abroad & Exchanges

Get Started

Resources for Students

Information For

Contact Us

Study Abroad & Exchange Programs Through Other SUNY Campuses

Why Study Abroad Through Other SUNY Campuses?

The programs described on this website represent only "the tip of the iceberg." As a SUNY student, you can apply to study in the study abroad programs that other SUNY campuses offer. SUNY offers over 500 programs in more than 60 countries. Each year, many Plattsburgh students study in programs through other SUNY campuses at places such as South Africa, France, Japan, Costa Rica and more!

The only difference in applying to another SUNY's program over a Plattsburgh program is that you will send your application forms to the other SUNY campus and correspond with them about your program. So, if there is really a country that you would like to experience not on this website, please search the SUNY International Programs website.

Application Information, Deadlines, and Costs

Due to the many programs available to you at SUNY, Study Abroad and Exchanges does not maintain information on each one. Rather, you must visit the website or contact the SUNY that offers the program to find out about how to apply, deadlines, costs, etc. Again, the SUNY International Programs website is the best place to start!

Maintaining SUNY Plattsburgh Matriculation

While you are studying abroad, you will remain registered at SUNY Plattsburgh under a code that identifies you as a study abroad student (OAP 300). After your program has ended, the SUNY who offers your program will mail your transcripts to Study Abroad and Exchanges. We will then forward them to the SUNY Plattsburgh registrar, who will remove the place-holding code and replace it with the courses you took abroad and the grades you earned in them.

Academic Credit and Financial Aid in Other SUNY Programs

The same policies that apply to credit and financial aid in Plattsburgh programs also applies to programs through other SUNY campuses. Once you have been accepted, please follow these steps at Plattsburgh to have your study abroad credit evaluated and your financial aid assessed for your program:

  1. Bring a copy of your acceptance letter to Study Abroad and Exchanges, where we will give you a copy of the Permission for Off-Campus Study Form. (Note: this 33.5kB PDF file requires the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.)
  2. Make an appointment to meet with your advisor and department chair to fill out the Permission for Off-Campus Study Form. Bring a list of the courses you want to take with you along with descriptions of those courses.
  3. Make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office to fill out their part of the Permission for Off-Campus Study Form. Take your acceptance letter and program cost information with you.
  4. Return the Permission for Off-Campus Study Form to Study Abroad and Exchanges with signatures from your advisor, department chair and Financial Aid.

Questions, Comments, Suggestions?

If you would like more information about study abroad and exchange opportunities at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact us at:

Global Education Office
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Toll-Free Phone: (800) 388-6784
Fax: (518) 564-3292

Location: We are on the second floor of the Kehoe Administration Building on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus.