Special Collections Duplication Guidelines and Fees
This page covers important policy information concerning the Duplication Services provided by Special Collections.
Special Collections is pleased to provide duplication services for patrons, subject to the following guidelines:
- All duplication fees must be prepaid.
- We accept debit and credit cards, checks, and Cardinal Cash. Cash payments must be made at the Student Accounts office in the Kehoe Administration Building (closed in the evenings and on weekends).
- Duplication of materials in the collections will be considered on an item-by-item basis.
- Whenever possible, copies will be made upon request. During busy times, or for large orders, copies will be available within 72 hours.
- No more than 10% of any printed publication will be duplicated. Additional restrictions may apply to some materials, based on the condition of the materials, copyright law, or prior donor agreements.
- In the case of fragile or oversize materials, scanning or digital photography is preferred. The use of photographic equipment must be approved in advance by the Special Collections librarian. No more than 10% of any item or collection may be photographed. No tripod is available in Special Collections.
- All photocopying and scanning will be done by Special Collections staff form.
- No photocopying or scanning will be started within 15 minutes of closing.
- Personal scanners are not permitted in Special Collections.
- We can make color and black & white scans up to 1200dpi.
- Large orders for scanned images will be completed within five business days of receipt of the request.
Permission to Use Special Collections Materials
- Under no circumstances do Special Collections materials circulate.
- Permission for the reproduction of materials owned by Special Collections is for one time use only and is governed by the Permission Contract, which must be signed in advance of publication or exhibition of Special Collections materials. This contract will be prepared by the Special Collections librarian or Special Collections staff.
- Special Collections materials used for publication or exhibition must credit Special Collections as follows:
Courtesy Special Collections, Benjamin F. Feinberg Library, SUNY College at Plattsburgh.
- A complimentary copy of all publications using reproductions of Special Collections materials must be provided for inclusion in our collections.
- Obtaining copyright permission to use materials that are owned by Special Collections, but for which we do not own the copyright, is the responsibility of the researcher.
- Failure to comply with any of these guidelines will result in suspension of duplication privileges.
- Use fees may apply. See our Fee Schedule below.
SUNY-affiliated users (faculty, staff, and students), local media, and local not-for-profit organizations with ID:
No charge up to a maximum of $4.
Photocopies: 15 cents per page
Scans: $1 per image
Use and publishing fee: waived
Non-affiliated users (scholarly use) and statewide media, in-person requests:
No charge up to a maximum of $2.
Photocopies: 25 cents per page
Scans: $2.50 per image, includes CD
Use and publishing fee: $25 minimum (Additional fees may apply for large orders)
Non-affiliated users, commercial use:
Photocopies: 50 cents per page
Scans: $5 per image, includes CD
Use and publishing fee: $50 per image.
Copies of already digitized audio materials (some restrictions may apply):
Affiliated users--$1 per track
Non-affiliated users and media--$5 per track
Commercial use--$10 per track
Shipping fees will apply--minimum $3 per order
Important Notice/Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright laws of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) govern the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that a photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright laws or if the materials in question are too fragile for duplication.
For more information about Special Collections at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Debra Kimok, Special Collections Librarian
Tel. (518) 564-5206