Special Collections Loan Policy
Circulation of Materials
Special Collections' "no circulation" policy protects irreplaceable items and allows visiting patrons to readily find desired information. No materials other than books may circulate.
Book loans are permitted in rare instances, following the guidelines below. Rare instances include illness and long distances to travel. All loans will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All loan requests must be processed by the Feinberg Library Interlibrary Loan office.
1. No pre-1930 imprints will be loaned unless there is an additional copy in Special Collections.
2. No county histories will be loaned.
3. No items will be loaned within Clinton County. Researchers living locally are asked to visit Special Collections to use the materials.
4. Under no circumstances will the following kinds of items circulate:
- Brittle or otherwise deteriorating materials
- Materials known to be rare or valuable
- Materials in use for course assignments
- SUNY Plattsburgh Faculty publications
- SUNY Plattsburgh reports
- Books in the Rockwell Kent Collection
- Oversized items
- Theses or dissertations
- When there is an additional copy of a book in the Feinberg Library General Collection, the Special Collections copy will not circulate. This applies even when the General Collection copy is on loan to another patron. In this instance a hold may be placed for the loaned copy at the Main Service desk on the 2nd floor of Feinberg Library.
- 28 days is the maximum loan period. Overdue fees accrue at a rate of 25 cents per day per item.
- No renewals are allowed for Special Collections materials.
- All books loaned must be used within the borrowing institution.
- In some cases photocopying will be prohibited; this will be clearly indicated when it applies.
- The cost of replacement or repair for damage or loss is the responsibility of the borrowing institution.
- This policy is based on the recommendations set forth in the ACRL Guidelines for the Interlibrary Loan of Rare and Unique Materials.
- See our Research Help and Duplication Policies for information about ways to request copies of materials that do not circulate.
For more information about Special Collections at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Debra Kimok, Special Collections Librarian
E-mail (for best results: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel. (518) 564-5206