Return of Federal Financial Aid when Students Withdraw from SUNY Plattsburgh

If you withdraw from college, federal law specifies how SUNY Plattsburgh must determine the amount of Title IV financial aid and Department of Defense (DOD) Tuition Assistance (TA) that you earn. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq Afghanistan Service Grants, TEACH Grants, Subsidized Loans, Unsubsidized Loans, PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans.  The DOD TA programs include all branches of Military Service: Army, Air Force, and Navy.

View College Withdrawal Policy

When you withdraw during your payment period or period of enrollment the amount of Title IV financial aid and DOD TA that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specifc formula. If you received less financial aid than the amount that you earned (or SUNY Plattsburgh or parent received on your behalf ), you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more aid than you earned, the excess aid funds must be returned by SUNY Plattsburgh and/or you.

The amount of financial aid that you have earned is determined on a prorata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a Post-withdrawal disbursement.  If your Post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, SUNY Plattsburgh must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. SUNY Plattsburgh may automatically use all or a portion of your Post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and SUNY Plattsburgh room and board charges. SUNY Plattsburgh needs your permission to use the Post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other college charges.  If you did not give SUNY Plattsburgh permission during the federal authorization request process, you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow SUNY Plattsburgh to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the college.

There are some Title IV funds and DOD TA that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

If you receive (or SUNY Plattsburgh or parent received on your behalf ) excess Title IV or DOD TA funds that must be returned, SUNY Plattsburgh must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds.

SUNY Plattsburgh must return this amount even if it didn’t keep this amount of your Title IV or DOD TA program funds.

If SUNY Plattsburgh is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a  period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with SUNY Plattsburgh to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV and DOD TA aid funds when you withdraw are separate from SUNY Plattsburgh's refund schedules for tuition and fees.  Therefore, you may still owe funds to the SUNY Plattsburgh to cover unpaid institutional charges. SUNY Plattsburgh may also charge you for any Title IV aid that the college was required to return.  Visit Withdrawal from College Policy for the college's policy and procedures for both personal and medical/mental health reasons.

If you have questions about your Title IV or DOD TA program funds, you can contact Financial Aid or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at, and

Contact Information

For more information about Financial Aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Financial Aid Office
Location: Kehoe Administration Building, Suite 401-410
Phone: (518) 564-2072
Toll-Free Phone: (877) 768-5976
Fax: (518)564-4079

Our mailing address:

Financial Aid Office
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-12681