Placement Exams and Proficiency at SUNY Plattsburgh
All students, without transfer credit, will take designated English and math courses to satisfy their general education (GE) requirements. A placement exam or demonstrated competency is required for enrollment in these courses. As well, students in certain majors requiring calculus and/or chemistry or those continuing in a foreign language must take additional placement exams or demonstrate proficiency in other ways. Read on for details.
Required Placement Exams or Proficiency/Competency
English Placement Exam
- Entering students without ENG101 credit take a required Directed Self-Paced questionnaire that helps determine writing competency and indicates which of these two courses might best suit particular students' needs. This questionnaire is available in Moodle. Note: login is required.
- Counsel by composition faculty regarding this registration decision is available at summer orientation sessions or by contacting the First-Year Composition program's director, Dr. Tom Friedrich, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Based on what students conclude, they register for ENG100 or ENG101. In the first week of all sections of ENG100 and ENG101, students also take an in-class diagnostic; if faculty readers conclude students would be better served by being in another class, students will be thus informed before the unrestricted drop/add period ends.
- Students who take ENG100 must earn a grade of C (2.0) or better before enrolling in ENG101.
Math Placement Exam or Competency (To Enroll in a 100-level GE Math Course)
- All students must complete a mathematics GE course to graduate.
- Before registering for a 100-level GE math course, students must demonstrate competency in arithmetic and basic algebra by having a math SAT score of > 460, a math ACT score of > 16, previous math transfer credit, or by taking the math placement exam.
- This paper-based exam is offered during opening weekend before classes begin and during final exam week at the end of the semester. For additional information, contact the Mathematics Department, Hawkins Hall 244B, (518) 564-4137.
Calculus-Readiness Placement Exam
- Students wishing to take Calculus (either MAT 221 or 224), CSC 217 or CSC 221, must show readiness to do so. Readiness may be demonstrated by passing MAT 102 Pre-calculus, having transfer credit for MAT 102 Pre-calculus, or by passing the Calculus-Readiness placement test.
- This placement test may only be taken once. Students who do not pass must take MAT102 in order to show readiness.
- To take this placement Test on-line, go to Moodle. Note: login is required.
- The paper-based version of this placement Test is offered Opening Weekend, Final Test Week, and during the two-week Course Advisement period; specific dates, times, and locations will be announced via the SUNY Plattsburgh Digest on campus email.
- MAT224 has an additional co-requisite of Trigonometry (MAT104) which is NOT covered by this Calculus Readiness Test.
Chemistry Placement Exam (Required only if taking CHE 111)
- Students required to take CHE 111 Fundamental Principles of Chemistry I, must take this exam to determine readiness to take the one semester course. Majors requiring CHE 111 or its equivalent CHE 106-CHE 107 are:
- Environmental Geology Study Option
- Environmental Science (BS )
- Geology (BS)
- Medical Technology
- Exam results will determine if the student must take CHE 106 and CHE 107 (a two-semester approach to CHE 111) or is ready to take CHE 111 in a one semester format.
- To take this on-line exam, go to Moodle. Note: login is required.
Optional Examinations for Enrollment, Placement or Proficiency
Foreign Language Proficiency Exam
- Students wishing advanced placement in a language course must sit for this exam.
- If students opt not to take the placement exam, they will be admitted to an entry-level course.
- Proficiency exams may place a student out of a requirement although (no zero) credit is given for proficiency examination performance.
- This paper-based exam is given during orientation and at other times of the year. Contact the Modern Language and Culture Department in CVH 312 for details.
LIB Proficiency Exam
- By passing the LIB Proficiency Exam, you meet the Information and Technology Literacy General Education requirement, but do not receive a credit hour.
- You may only take the exam once. If you have received a grade for LIB105 or LIB200, including a "W" you are not eligible to take the exam. If you are currently enrolled and attending a LIB200 course you are not eligible to take the exam.
- The exam is offered the Sunday before the start of the Fall and Spring semesters and during the advising period.
- Full information on the exam is available at: http://www.plattsburgh.edu/library/instruction/proficiencyexam.php
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (518) 564-2100
Fax: (518) 564-4900
101 Broad St
Plattsburgh, NY 12901