Interfraternity Council (IFC)
Purpose: We empower fraternities to be values-driven organizations.
Vision: To be a values-driven culture that creates better men.
Mission: The mission of the Interfraternity Council is to create order by defining common values and community standards to guide and support fraternities in constancy of purpose.
Values: Integrity, Friendship, Scholarship, Leadership, Service
Additionally, it is the function of the Interfraternity Council to:
- Provide and act as the representative central government of the men's fraternities
- Promote harmonious relations among fraternities
- Promote and support the charitable programs of each fraternity chapter
- Standardize, control, and regulate the recruitment and new member education activities of the men's fraternities
- Act as the judicial body for fraternity violations, IFC rules, and/or other violations that impair the Fraternity Community
- Promote fraternal expansion
- Enforce that fraternities maintain accreditation through the Fraternal Excellence Initiative
- Be a resource for all fraternal endeavors to promote growth for fraternities and the community
- Communicate and advocate the values fraternities were founded upon
- Act as a resource for organizations to reach individual goals
- Facilitate and help promote personal, interpersonal, and organizational integrity
Interfraternity Council Executive Board
The Interfraternity Council President has overall responsibility for the operation of the Interfraternity Council. He presides at all regular, executive and special meetings of IFC and is the official spokesman and representative for fraternities on the Committee on Fraternal Affairs, and other committee as requested. In addition, he is responsible for regular communication with the Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life, the fraternity chapter presidents, and the Inter-Sorority Association Council President.
The Interfraternity Council Vice President of Standards serves as Chairman of the IFC Fraternal Standards Board. He is the fraternity representative to the Fraternal Review & Referral Committee, a college committee that convenes to discuss potential violations of fraternity/sorority policy and makes a determination of how to handle the investigation and adjudication. He is also the fraternity representative on the College Committee for Group Review in the event that a fraternity charge is being adjudicated through the College's judicial process. The VP of Standards serves as Parliamentarian during IFC Regular Meetings and annually convenes a committee to review the constitution and bylaws of the Council. He presides over the Interfraternity Council in the absence of the President.
The Interfraternity Council Vice Presidents have the responsibility of serving as a resource to all fraternity men in the areas of scholarship, diversity, recruitment, risk management, public relations and leadership. In addition, they are responsible for serving as liaisons to the IFC/ISA programming committees. The Vice Presidents will also assume responsibility for the financial management and official record keeping of all IFC meetings.
Programming committees are supervised collectively by the Interfraternity Council and Inter-Sorority Association and can be found here.
IFC Member Fraternities
- Alpha Phi Alpha National Fraternity
- Alpha Sigma Phi National Fraternity
- Chi Phi National Fraternity
- Phi Iota Alpha National Fraternity
- Phi Mu Delta National Fraternity
- Pi Alpha Nu Regional Fraternity
- Pi Kappa Phi National Fraternity
- Sigma Tau Gamma National Fraternity
- Tau Kappa Epsilon National Fraternity
- Theta Gamma Regional Fraternity
For more information about Fraternity/Sorority Life at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life
Angell College Center 106
Phone: (518) 564-4825