Social Event Grants
The Fraternity/Sorority Life Social Event Grants are available for fraternal organizations to co-sponsor alcohol-free social events. If groups are selected, Fraternity/Sorority Life will provide funding to help support these events (i.e. Group A contributes $100 and Group B contributes $100, Fraternity/Sorority Life will contribute up to $200 so that the group can plan a social event costing approximately $400).
Sample events could include (but are not limited to):
- Laser Tag
- Miniature golf
- Dinner at a local restaurant
- Ben & Jerry’s tour
- Ausable Chasm rafting
- Picnic at City Beach or State Park
- Six Flags/The Great Escape
- Lake Placid Olympic Center
- Show in Montreal or Burlington
- Horseback riding
- Attend a PSU theatre event
- Hiking in the Adirondacks
The intended outcomes of these grants are:
- Members will begin to comprehend the concept of “social organization” meaning “social development”. Fraternity and sorority members will not equate the concept of “social event” with “alcohol”.
- The personal social skills of fraternity and sorority members will improve.
- The sense of community between organizations will increase.
- The perception that alcohol is a core principle of fraternities and sororities will decrease.
- The number of students who join fraternities/sororities for the purposes of friendship, scholarship, leadership and service will increase.
Criteria to be considered for funding:
- A minimum of two accredited fraternal organizations must collaborate;
- 50% of members from each of these organizations must attend the event;
- Members agree to remain alcohol and substance free before, during and after the event;
- Appropriate representatives must attend the Fraternal Summit each year;
- Groups must participate in an assessment initiative to be administered by the Fraternity/Sorority Life at the beginning of the academic year. A minimum of 75% of members must complete the survey;
- A minimum of 75% of participants must complete an event evaluation within seven days of the event.
The application process is:
- Interested groups will submit an application to Fraternity/Sorority Life a minimum of two weeks before the event. The application can be found here.
- Groups will be notified within 72 hours if they have received the grant and will receive instructions for payment.
For more information about Fraternity/Sorority Life at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life
Angell College Center 106
Phone: (518) 564-4825