SUNY Plattsburgh Sophos Antivirus Web Installation
Our Sophos Web installation package contains a complete, fully working and licensed copy of Sophos Antivirus software. It also includes a small remote update component that has been preconfigured to automatically update every hour off our website. The installer was designed to work with Windows 95/98/98se/Me/2000/XP Home and XP Pro operating systems. We tried to make the install as simple as possible.
IMPORTANT: Prior to installing this software, you must read and follow the steps outlined below.
STEP 1 - UnInstall Existing Antivirus Software
You MUST uninstall any existing antivirus software currently running on your computer. The Sophos Antivirus engine does not work well with other antivirus software installed and may cause frequent lockups and crashes. Examples of such software are Norton Antivirus 200x, McAfee Antivirus, Command Antivirus and AVG Antivirus.
Removal can be accomplished by following these steps:
- Click on START, click SETTINGS, click CONTROL PANEL
- Double-Cllick on ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
- Scroll the list of installed software and look for lines that contain the words "Antivirus." If you find one, click on it to select it.
- Click the ADD/REMOVE button, and follow the prompts to uninstall that piece of software.
- You may be prompted to reboot your computer after removing the software, go ahead and reboot.
- Follow steps 1-5 until you no longer see any lines in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS that contain the words "Antivirus."
STEP 2 - Logging in and Downloading the Software
- To login, enter your LDAP NetID and password. Your NetID is the same as you would use to check your e-mail, sometimes called your campus usercode. Your password, by default, consists of the last four digits of your Social Security Number and the first four letters of your last name. These letters in your password must be entered in upper case (capital letters).
Example: Jane A. Smith SS# 123-45-6789
- After logging in, read the acceptable use policy, scroll to the bottom and click on "Download Sophos Now."
- A box will pop up in the middle of the screen. Click SAVE.
Another box will pop up asking you where to save it. Set the "Save In:" option at the top of the box to Desktop, then click the "SAVE " button in the bottom right hand corner of the window. The packaged Sophos installer will now start downloading to your computer. The installer is called remupd.exe and is about 4.4MB in size. If you are attempting to download this through a Dial-Up connection (using a modem) it could take several minutes for this initial download to complete.
STEP 3 - Installing the Software
When the download is complete, you should see a new icon on your desktop labeled "remupd.exe".
Double-Click on the remupd.exe file on your desktop to start the Sophos install. A black window will appear, your computer is now installing both the remote update component and the actual Sophos Antivirus Software. The window will stay on the screen while the softwre installation is complete.
Do not close the Black window - it will disappear off the screen when the install is complete.
If you are attempting to install this software over a Dial-up connection it may take 1-2 Hours to completely download all of the necessary files. Broadband connections like Charter and Verzion DSL will be much quicker and should complete in just a few minutes. When the software is installed the black box disappears and you should see an icon that looks like a little blue sun located in the bottom right hand corner of your screen to the left of the clock.
Sophos should now successfully installed on your computer.
STEP 4 - Software Updates
If you are on a broadband connection like Charter or Verizon DSL your computer will automatically contact our server for updates each hour. If your using a Dial-Up connection the software will check for updates the next time to connect to the internet. If your not sure your machine is actually updating you can force it to update by following these steps:
- Right-click on the Blue Sun Icon in bottom right hand corner of the screen
- Left-Click on Update now. This will force an immediate update of the antivirus software.
If you are experiencing difficulty logging-in to get the software or have general questions about its installation please call the Computing and Media Services Helpdesk at 564-4433.
For more information about technology at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Phone: (518) 564-4433 / toll-free 1-800-787-8773