Advising Welcome

For Students

For Parents

For Faculty

Academic Advising Tools & Resources

Testing Services


How To Declare, Change, or Add a Major/Minor/Advisor

If you wish to declare or change your major or minor, please follow all of the simple steps outlined below.

  1. Obtain a copy of our Declaration or Change of Major/Minor/Advisor form. To do so:
  2. Complete the identifying information at the top of the form (the first three lines). Read the bulleted instructions on what section(s) to complete. If you are adding a major or minor, take the form personally to the respective major department chair or minor coordinator. (See lists of chairs and coordinators in the Academic Advising Office.)
  3. The department chair of your intended major will review your request (you may be asked for a copy of your transcript or Degree Works audit), assign you to a new academic advisor within the major, and sign the form, which indicates acceptance into the major.
    • NOTE: Some majors are currently closed, meaning they are full to capacity at this time and not accepting new students. Some major programs require cumulative GPAs that are higher than the 2.0 minimum before being accepted into the program. The department chair of your intended major will discuss with you the likelihood or not of entry into that major and/or might recommend certain courses to take prior to applying for that major.
  4. Once you have the signature(s) you need, return the form to the Academic Advising Office in Feinberg 101 for official processing. Within two weeks time, your Degree Works audit will be updated to reflect your new major/minor.

For other related questions

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions about why, when, and how to declare or change a major at SUNY Plattsburgh.

Contact Information

Academic Advising
Office Location: Feinberg 101-103
Phone: (518) 564-2080
Fax: (518) 564-2079
Email: [email protected]