Bachelor of Fine Arts: Studio Art
Our Bachelor of Fine Arts Program Allows You To
- Prepare for a career in art or continue on to graduate study
- Gain a solid technical foundation in art and confidence in your skills
- Learn to apply high quality standards and good aesthetic judgement
- Concentrate on one or more artistic disciplines of your choosing
- Develop your personal vision and method of expression
- Study the history of art and its place in society over the years
- Build a strong portfolio of work
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), Study Option in Studio Art
The B.F.A. program is an intensive, professional degree that prepares students for art careers or graduate study in either fine arts or graphic design. B.F.A. students are admitted by a portfolio review. Students without portfolios may enter the B.A. program and, subsequently, apply to the B.F.A. program. Students in the B.F.A. program obtain a solid foundation and broad studio experience, as well as one or more in-depth concentrations in graphic design, ceramics, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking or sculpture. B.F.A. students are reviewed annually and their studies culminate in a Senior Exhibition. B.F.A. graduates develop technical competence, aesthetic judgment, and a strong commitment to artistic quality.
The foundation studio art experience is an integral component of student preparation in the visual arts. The strength of the foundation program rests on a synthesis of drawing, two and three dimensional design, and art history survey courses. These introductory courses provide the language for visual thinking. The foundation studio art program, along with a broad liberal arts education, provide the building blocks for developing our students creative individuality.
Every art major elects at least one studio area of concentration with a focus on building a mature level of creative expression. This in-depth involvement also enables our students to create a professional level portfolio for their future goals. Many of our students choose to continue their education in a Master of Fine Arts program.
Concentrations are available in:
Admission to the B.F.A. Program is by portfolio review. Freshmen may apply as an incoming freshman or at the end of their freshman or sophomore years.
Transfer students may apply upon acceptance to the college.
- Frequently asked questions about the B.F.A.
- Portfolio guidelines
- Application forms:
- Freshmen B.F.A. application and scholarship application combined form (20kB PDF, requires the free Acrobat Reader)
- Transfer B.F.A. application form (19kB PDF)
If you would like more information about art at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Dr. Karen Blough
Office: Myers Fine Arts 220B
Phone: (518) 564-2468
Kimberly Hall-Stone, Secretary
Office: Myers Fine Arts 220B
Phone: (518) 564-2179
Fax: (518) 564-2199
Myers Fine Arts 220 B
Plattsburgh, NY 12901