Dr. Donald F. Slish
Professor of Biological Sciences
Pre-Health Professions Advisory Committee Chair
I teach Cell Biology and pharmacology related courses, as well as introductory biology. I have always been fascinated by the mechanisms that drugs use to produce effects in the body, and I try to bring this interest into all of my teaching. I also am the chief pre-medical advisor at Plattsburgh State and am very excited about helping students to realize their goals in medicine.
- Ph.D. in Cardiovascular Pharmacology, University of Cincinnati, 1991
- B.S. in Biochemistry, University of Scranton, 1985
- BIO101 — General Biology I
- BIO103 — Concepts in Biology
- BIO213 — Pharmacology of Illicit Drugs
- BIO114 — Introduction to the Health Professions
- BIO401 — Cell Biology
- BIO417 — Biology of Cancer
- BIO424 — Cardiovascular Pharmacology
- Pedagogical applications of online media, biological applications
- Slish, D. F. (2017) Pharmacology of Recreational Drugs, Cognella Academic Publishing, San Diego, Calif.
- Slish, D. F., Nash, M. & Premo, J. (2015). Gamification increases scores of underperforming students in cell biology. In Carliner, S., Fulford, C. & Ostashewski, N. (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015, 887–893.
- Vogt, F. D. & Slish, D. F. (2011). A model for programmatic evaluation by student assessment. Journal of Science Education and Technology 20, 796–802.
- Slish, D. F. (2005). Assessment of the use of the jigsaw method and active learning in non-majors, Introductory Biology, Bioscene 31(4), 4–10.
- Slish, D. F., Arvigo, R., & Balick, M. (2004). Alseis yucatanensis: a natural product from Belize that exhibits multiple mechanisms of vasorelaxation, J. Ethnopharm. 92, 297–302.
- Slish, D. F., Welsh, D.G., & Brayden, J.E, (2002). Diacylglycerol and protein kinase C activate cation channels involved in myogenic tone, Am. J. Physiol. 283, H2196–H2201.
- Slish, D. F. (2000) Creating computer animations of biological concepts, American Biology Teacher, 62(2), 94–97.
- Slish, D. F., Ueda, H., Arvigo, R., & Balick, M. J. (1999). Ethnobotany in the search for vasoactive herbal medicines, J. Ethnopharm. 66 159–165.
- Upton, R., Graff, A., Williamson, E., Langer, R., Hatung, T., Rehwald, Flachsmann, E. A., Reich, E., Martinez, M., Chandra, A., Li, A., Isminger, P., Ko, R., & Slish, D. F. (1999). Hawthorn leaf with flower: Analytical, quality control, and therapeutic monograph. American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, Santa Cruz, Calif.
Contact Donald Slish
Office: Hudson Hall 325
Phone: (518) 564-5160