Two of our academic programs, cytotechnology and medical technology, include a required 12 month clinical internship in a hospital setting. For more information on these clinical internships please visit our medical technology and cytotechnology internship sites page.
Obtaining practical experience is of great benefit both for enhancing your prospects for acceptance into a graduate program and for gaining greater familiarity with the professional expectations and demands of your chosen field of study. Many students interested in careers in the health sciences intern at the CVPH Medical Center, Plattsburgh N.Y., which is located adjacent to the campus. Internships are performed for credit during the semester or during break. Learn more about CVPH internships.
A large number of (primarily summer) internship opportunities are available elsewhere in New York or in other states. Check out the listings below:
- National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) located all across the country: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.jsp?unitid=5047
- National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD. Undergraduate Scholarship Program: https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/ugsp
- New York State Police Crime Laboratory Internships: https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Crime_Laboratory_System/Internships/
- Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health Internship http://www.wadsworth.org/educate/molcel.htm
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (on Long Island) Undergraduate Summer Research Program: https://www.cshl.edu/Education/Undergraduate-Research.html
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP): http://smdep.org/
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Internships: http://careers.mskcc.org/internships/
- Department of Biological Chemistry & Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School University: https://bcmp.med.harvard.edu/node/379
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education and Research Training: http://www.hhmi.org/programs/science-education-research-training
- Columbia University Department of Biological Sciences Internships: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/biology/ug/surf/
- Sackler Institute at the New York University School of Medicine: http://www.med.nyu.edu/sackler/summer-undergraduate-research-program-surp
- New York University Center for Neural Science Internships: http://www.cns.nyu.edu/undergrad/surp/
- Rockefeller University Summer Research Program: http://www.rockefeller.edu/SURF/
- MDI Biological Laboratory: https://mdibl.org/education/hs-undergrad/undergraduate-applications/
- Student Conservation Association: http://www.thesca.org/serve/young-adult-programs
- Simon Brain Research Foundation Summer Fellowships in Neuroscience: http://www.iesbrainresearch.org/programs.htm
- Heart Association Student Research Opportunities for students interested in cardiovascular research: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Affiliate/Founders-Affiliate-Local-Research-Opportunities_UCM_315885_Article.jsp
- MIT Summer Research Program: http://web.mit.edu/urop/amgenscholars/
- Stanford University Summer Research Program: http://biosciences.stanford.edu/prospective/diversity/ssrp/
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (Long Island, N.Y.) Research: https://www.bnl.gov/education/
- Mayo Clinic Summer Research: http://www.mayoclinic.org/jobs/internships.html
- Cornell Medical School Summer Research Program: http://weill.cornell.edu/education/programs/tra_sum_res.html
Cytotechnology & Medical Technology
- Internships at Affiliated Institutions:
- University of Vermont Medical Center School of Cytotechnology, Burlington, Vt.
- University Health Center of Pittsburgh at Magee Womens Hospital Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Internships at Non-affiliated Hospitals:
- Albany College of Pharmacy (Master’s Degree Program in Cytotechnology and Molecular Cytology), Albany, N.Y.
- Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pa.
- University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, North Newark, N.J.
- The 4th-year internship may also be served at any other CAAHEP-accredited Cytotechnology Program
- For a listing of accredited MT Programs, visit NAACLS or ASCP
Ecology and Environmental Studies
- Student Conservation Association: http://www.thesca.org/
- Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies (Milbrook, N.Y.): http://www.caryinstitute.org/students/reu-program
- Organization of Biological Field Studies (nationwide sites): http://www.obfs.org/
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center: http://www.serc.si.edu/pro_training/internships/internships.aspx
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Summer Student Fellowships: https://www.whoi.edu/main/undergraduate-programs
- Mote Marine Laboratory
- Whitney Laboratory at University of Florida REU
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about biological sciences at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Dr. Neil Buckley, Chair
Office: Hudson Hall 337
Phone: (518) 564-3155
Email: [email protected]