Why Major in Business and Economics?
You need to ask yourself first and foremost, “What can a business education give me to prepare me for my future?”
Can a Business Education Give You Skills to Succeed?
Part of our job at SUNY Plattsburgh is to provide you with learning experiences (both textbook and real) that will give you the tools that you need to develop skills and make the best choices for your future.
Our faculty can give you the theoretical and practical knowledge of various business, economics, accounting, finance, management, and marketing subjects; however, it is your job:
- to ask questions,
- to test your own perceptions, and
- to find out for yourself what learning experiences are important to your future career and expectations for yourself.
Then, through all your experiences both in and out of the classroom, you are better able to put together your academic, career, and personal potential.
Is a Bachelor Degree in Business the Key to Your Success?
If you just go through the “motions” of getting an education then you will come out as “motionless.” This does not render you as very employable. If you only try to understand the theory of sound business practices without understanding applications you will only become a theorist. A theorist is good in some areas, but is not what the marketplace is asking for.
If you attempt to apply what you learn in the classroom to your everyday life (limited as it is during your time at SUNY Plattsburgh) you will discover the practicality of:
- building relationships with a wide variety of individuals and cultures different than your own,
- understanding, appreciating, and embracing differences in thoughts, ideas, and ways of thinking and acting,
- working in a team,
- planning, executing, and reviewing,
- managing people, yourself, money, and time,
- leading by example and inner strength,
- selling yourself on who you really are, and
- learning to live ethically and with integrity.
These are the values and characteristics demanded of the business marketplace today. This is what you will receive from a business education at the SUNY Plattsburgh School of Business and Economics.
We look forward to having you join us.
- To learn more about careers in business, please visit the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you have any questions about the School of Business & Economics at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Dr. Rowena Ortiz-Walters, Dean
Office: Au Sable Hall 331
Phone: (518) 564-3185
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901