Professor of Accounting
Dr. James J. Coffey is a Professor of Business Law in the Department of Accounting. He has been teaching for the past thirty-five years at SUNY Plattsburgh. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the New York Bar Association (Municipal and Real Property Law sections), American Business Law Association, and Clinton County Bar Association.
Dr. Coffey earned a B.A. in Economics from the State University of New York College at Plattsburgh, an M.B.A. from the University of Connecticut, and a J.D. from Suffolk University Law School (1974). His teaching expertise and interest includes business law, taxation, and real estate. Dr. Coffey has a wide range of experience practicing law. Students in Dr. Coffey's classes have a great amount of exposure to real life cases related to a variety of topics covered in his courses.
Dr. Coffey's research interest is in municipal law and real property taxation. Dr. Coffey has authored eleven publications in refereed journals. In addition, Dr. Coffey has authored several publications in professional journals and has made several presentations at professional organizations.
Dr. Coffey is active in service to the department, school, college, and the local community. He has served as a chair and/or a member of more than twenty-two different committees. He is the attorney for Clinton County, the Town of Plattsburgh, and the Town of Ellenburg.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School (1974)
- M.B.A., University of Connecticut
- B.A. in Economics, State University of New York College at Plattsburgh
- Business Law
- Municipal Taxation
- Taxation of Real Property
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment, Real Property, Probate and Trust, and Business Law)
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business
- New York Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law, and Real Property Law)
- American Business Law Association
- Clinton County Bar Association
Contact James Coffey
Office: Au Sable Hall 233
Phone: (518) 564-4213