Major in Biochemistry
Our Biochemistry Major Allows You To:
- Prepare for a career in health, nutrition, or biotechnology.
- Combine biology and chemistry in one program.
- Develop the technical and communication skills necessary for laboratory research.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biochemistry (92 credits)
This program provides the depth of knowledge and skill that students need to prepare for careers in health, nutritional, or biotechnical fields (e.g., medicine, dentistry, food chemistry, genetic engineering, and industrial enzymology); or to advance to graduate studies. It includes a solid foundation in biology, chemistry, and physics; but it is flexible enough to be tailored to meet each student’s particular needs or goals. The basic program includes introductory and organic chemistry, general biology, physics, calculus, statistics, genetics, cell geology, and biochemistry. Written and oral communication skills are emphasized in laboratory research.
The biochemistry curriculum follows the recommendations of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB).
Students can also take additional course work to achieve American Chemical Society (ACS) certification (contact your advisor for details).
- Biochemistry major course curriculum (671kB PDF, requires the free Arobat Reader)
- Chemistry course descriptions
- Biology course descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about chemistry at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Neil Buckley, Chairperson
Office: Hudson Hall 221
Phone: (518) 564-5165