Dr. Dexter Criss
Associate Professor of Chemistry:
I place an emphasis on encouraging students to take part in research projects as a part of their undergraduate career, and as a result have averaged roughly three undergraduate research advises per semester over the past five years. In recognition of my efforts, I have recently been awarded the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching.
While not directly related to chemistry, I also act as the music director for the SUNY Plattsburgh College Gospel Choir, a diverse group of students and faculty involved in the presentation of the American experience through the performance of its musical heritage to both campus and regional community groups. My involvement with the Gospel Choir has helped us, in the chemistry program, to present a welcoming and inclusive image which has attracted a number of students to chemistry.
Got a question for Dexter?
Contact him at: [email protected]
Interested in the SUNY Plattsburgh Gospel Choir?
Learn more at: http://organizations.plattsburgh.edu/gospelchoir/
- Ph.D. in Wood/Organic Chemistry, Mississippi State University, May 1999
- M.S. in Organic Chemistry, Mississippi State University, August 1994
- B.S. in Chemistry ACS I (Minor Mathematics), Delta State University, May 1988
- Organic Chemistry
- Associate Professor (Chemistry) SUNY at Plattsburgh (2005)
- Assistant Professor (Chemistry) SUNY at Plattsburgh (1999–2005)
- Beard, D.J., Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., Ingram, Jr. L.L., & Schultz, T.P., (2000). A Room-Temperature â-O-4 to á-O-4 Rearrangement. In Glasser, Northey, Schultz, (Eds.), ACS Symposia Series 742, Lignin: Historical, Biological, and Material Perspectives (p. 65). Washington, DC: American Chemical Society.
- Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., & Schultz, T.P. (1998). Alkaline hydrolysis of nonphenolic á-carbonyl â-O-4 Lignin dimers substituted on the leaving Phenoxide ring: Comparison with Benzylic Hydroxyl analogues. Holzforschung, 52, 75.
- Collier, W.E., Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., & Schultz, T.P. (1998). Alkaline hydrolysis of nonphenolic â-O-4 model diastereomers: Substituent effect on the leaving Phenoxide. Holzforschung, 52, 171.
- Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., Ingram, Jr. L.L., Schultz, T.P., & Saebo, D.B. (1997). A low-temperature internal nucleophilic aromatic substitution reaction on a â-O-4 Lignin model dimer. J. Organic Chemistry, 62, 7885.
- Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., Ingram, Jr. L.L., Schultz, T.P., & Saebo, D.B. (1998). Investigation of an internal SNAr reaction on nonphenolic â-O-4 Lignin model dimers with a 4'-CHO group. National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Dallas, TX.
- Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., & Schultz, T.P. (1996). Alkaline hydrolysis rates of nonphenolic â-O-4 Lignin model ketones. National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, New Orleans, LA, 1996.
- Criss, D.L., Fisher, T.H., Ingram, Jr. L.L., Schultz, T.P., & Saebo (1997). D.B. A low temperature internal nucleophilic aromatic substitution reaction on an â-O-4 Lignin model dimer. Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Roanoke, VA.
Off-campus Research Collaborators of Past Four Years
- Dr. Tor Schultz, Dr. Thomas Fisher, Dr. Leonard Ingram and Dr. Debbie Beard-Sabeo Mississippi State University
- Dr. Tom Elder, Auburn University
- Dr. Heather M. Dann, Dr. Steven Kramer, W.H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute
Contact Dexter Criss
Office: Hawkins Hall 129
Phone: (518) 564-2700
Email: [email protected]