Major in Chemistry
Our Chemistry Major Allows You To:
- Prepare for a career in chemistry.
- Be eligibile for certification from the American Chemical Society.
- Meet pre-professional requirements for graduate study in medicine, veterinary medicine, and dentistry.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Chemistry (89 credits)
The B.A. chemistry program provides you with a sound foundation in the basic areas of inorganic, organic, analytical, and physical chemistry. The core of 41 chemistry credits (including a required research experience, advanced writing and chemistry seminar), combined with 8 credits each of mathematics and physics prepares you for your future as a professional in the field of chemistry. Further, the B.A. allows for 30 to 40 credits of elective work, which can be used to complete a major or minor in a second field other than chemistry, as dictated by your personal goals. Environmental chemistry is among the more popular secondary areas of specialization. You may also select courses as pre-professional requirements for graduate study in medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry.
Elective hours may be selected through advisement to fulfill the American Chemical Society’s additional requirements for certification.
- B.A. in Chemistry course curriculum (671kB PDF, requires the free Arobat Reader)
- Chemistry course descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about chemistry at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Neil Buckley, Chairperson
Office: Hudson Hall 221
Phone: (518) 564-5165