Communication Sciences & Disorders Certificate Program
Cost, Finance & Success Information
What is the Certificate Program?
The communication sciences and disorders certificate program is a two semester program designed to prepare students for entering into a graduate program in the field of speech-language pathology.
Students entering the certificate program already have a bachelor’s degree in a different field, but do not have the necessary undergraduate coursework to apply for a master’s degree program in speech-language pathology.
A variety of students participate in this program. These include:
- Individuals who have a number of years experience working in a different field and decide to change fields.
- Individuals who recently graduated from college and have developed an interest in speech-language pathology.
- Individuals who have been away from academia for a number of years and wish to return to continue their education.
- International students who have limited access to speech-language pathology programs in their own country.
Benefits of the Speech-Language Pathology Certificate Program
You will be ready for graduate school in speech-language pathology.
Our certificate program will provide you with academic coursework necessary for applying to any speech-language pathology graduate program, including the M.A. program at SUNY Plattsburgh. Please see the speech-language pathology graduate program for more information.
You will receive individual attention concerning fulfillment of professional certification requirements.
Depending on your undergraduate coursework, you may need additional coursework required by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for professional certification. You and your academic advisor will work closely together to develop your curriculum.
If you are an international or out-of-state student, you may be eligible for a housing grant.
Housing grants (up to $2,500 per year) are available for international and out-of-state students who are accepted into the certificate program. This grant only is provided for on-campus housing.
- Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders course curriculum
- Suggested course sequence for the Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Communication sciences and disorders course descriptions
Application to the Certificate Program
Note: Admission is limited to the 12 highest qualified students every fall. Deadline for application is April 1st.
Application requirements include:
- Submission of the Graduate Admission Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcripts
- $50 Application Fee
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about communication sciences and disorders at SUNY Plattsburgh please contact:
Patrick Coppens, Ph.D., Interim Chair
Office: Sibley Hall 222C
Phone: (518) 564-2173
Email: [email protected]
Communication Sciences & Disorders
Sibley Hall 226
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901