Communication Studies Program at SUNY Plattsburgh
What Sets Us Apart: Our Five Majors Will Help Build Your Career
- Audio-Radio Production prepares you to work in fields including radio, television, live sound, and music recording.
- Broadcast Journalism prepares you to gather, produce, and deliver news for radio and TV.
- Communication Studies focuses on exploring the wide-ranging field of communication.
- Digital Media Production enables you to explore and develop your skills with audio, video, multimedia, and digital design.
- TV-Video Production prepares you to work in studio and field production for TV and video.
Easy Access to Facilities, Teaching Resources, and Faculty Members:
- Progressive teaching methods connect your classroom experience to the outside world.
- Classroom activities and projects help you build an effective portfolio, making you stand out to potential employers.
- Internships that let you jumpstart your career.
- Exposure to many areas of communication — to give you the upper hand when beginning your career after graduation.
Connect with Us
We Balance Theory with Hands-On Experience
Unlike some other colleges, hands-on training begins from day one. Our program strikes a balance between theory and practice and combines a traditional liberal arts education with professional training.
You can get involved in audio recording, live sports broadcasting, website design, and much more. Due to our close relationship with other programs such as art, journalism, and music, you have the opportunity to further explore graphic design, broadcast journalism, live music recording, and more giving you the broader skill sets needed to meet today’s industry standards.
Our Offerings Are Wide and Deep
You’ll learn about persuasion and mass media effects. Learn about culture and relationships, speaking and writing. And at the same time, you’ll pursue a course of study that provides the knowledge that suits your interests and career needs.
Today’s jobs demand a broad base of skills and strengths. Our program challenges you to not only become a master of one area, but to be strong in speaking, writing, ethics, leadership, culture, and much more. Our program also supports study in more than one major or concentration. This gives you a broader set of skills that increases your ability to take on the competition in your chosen field.
Our Classrooms Include Real-World Experience
Effective teaching and learning depends on applying concepts. Professional-level experiences begin from day one. In the classroom, you will often work with real, client-based projects. And even when clients are not involved, our faculty‘s industry experience provides real-world exposure right in the classroom.
Our Alums Can Help You Network
Our graduates go on to successful careers in:
- video production,
- Web design,
- audio production,
- and so many more.
Our graduates have gone on to successful careers at media outlets such as Sirius-XM, MTV, CBS, NBC, and Sony Tri-Star, at radio stations and recording studios across the U.S. Others have gone on to graduate school, bound for careers in teaching, politics, and law. Our alumni, along with your Plattsburgh State Communication Department faculty, can mentor you as you begin your own communication career.
Timothy Clukey, Chairperson
Welcome to the website of the Department of Communication Studies at SUNY Plattsburgh.
Our department is where we combine cutting-edge technology, strategy, creativity and professional training for the next-generation of students. Each of our five majors give you a rock-solid foundation and flexible course options that prepare you for the hottest emerging career opportunities. To get a feeling of the sense of community and professionalism that exists between our faculty and students, I encourage you to visit our facilities, labs, and classrooms.
Across the country, communication studies ranks in the top five of academic majors at college campuses. Why not join the department at a premier institution dedicated to communication?
Contact me for more information and to schedule a tour:
Office: Yokum Hall 111A
Phone: (518) 564-4290
Yokum Hall 103B
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-2681