Clinical Mental Health Counseling Certificate
Cost, Finance & Success Information
A bridge program for students with master’s degrees in related counseling areas, the certificate makes you eligible for licensure as clinical mental health counselor in New York.
- Provide mental health treatments for individuals, groups, partners, and families
- Use community mental health system-based data to design, develop and manage community mental health agencies
- Become a leader in mental health and addictions services, and advocate for equitable and culturally competent counseling for all clients
- Develop and maintain a clinical private practice in mental health counseling
Note that this program is not open to holders of master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling.
Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (Minimum 24 credits)
- Clinical mental health counseling certificate course curriculum (314kB PDF, requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Counselor education course descriptions
General admission criteria include a completed graduate study application, three recommendations, statement of purpose or intent, and official transcripts. Additional requirements for the Clinical Mental Health Counseling C.A.S. programs include:
- Evidence of a 2.8 GPA for M.S. and 3.0 for C.A.S. on a 4.0 scale
- Copies of all licenses and certificates related to counseling, if applicable (C.A.S.)
- A master’s degree in a counseling-related field (not including mental health counseling) completed within the last 10 years
Admission Deadline: February 1, applications may be accepted after February 1 at the department’s discretion.
If you would like more information about the Certificate of Advanced Study in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, please contact:
Dr. David Stone, Coordinator
Office: Ward Hall 104A
Phone: (518) 564-4178