Major in Finance
Sometimes it’s hard to understand the value of something until you require its use. Now being able to apply what I learned at Plattsburgh in the real world, I’ve realized that without it, I wouldn’t be where I am today.
Our Finance Major Allows You To:
- Understand the flood of financial information that society has become increasingly exposed to in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Barrons, and Investors Business Daily.
- Obtain gainful employment in the area of financial markets:
- Finance is one of the fastest growing and highest paid careers options available today.
- Jobs in finance are plentiful in both the public and private sectors.
- Pursue an advanced degree (M.B.A. or Ph.D.) in any area of business.
- Gain real world experience through internships and independent studies with faculty acting as mentors.
Our Finance Program is Accredited Through AACSB International
This agency will only accredit programs of high quality and ensures that continuous improvement processes are evident in all areas. Nationally, only a handful of schools that only offer the undergraduate degree in business are accredited through AACSB International. Our finance program includes the business core and is thus subject to accreditation through AACSB, however the economics major does not require students to take the business core and is thus not subject to accreditation.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Finance (120 credits)
Students who take this option study financial markets in general with specific attention paid to portfolio management, money and capital markets, money and banking, options, international finance, etc. The finance program is excellent preparation for careers in banking (both commercial and investment banking), law, or graduate school. Recent graduates of this program are now working for Salomon SmithBarney, Goldman Sachs, UBS PaineWebber, and Cantor Fitzgerald, to name a few of the companies interested in hiring our graduates.
- B.S. in Finance Course Curriculum
- Finance Major Suggested Course Sequence
- Finance Course Descriptions
- Economics Course Descriptions
- Accounting Course Descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about the economics and finance program at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Dr. Robert Christopherson, Department Chair
Office: Au Sable 203
Phone: (518) 564-4195
Fax: (518) 564-4215
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901