Certificate in Birth–Grade 2 Early Childhood Education
Our popular 12-credit early childhood education certificate enables teachers who hold their initial or professional teaching certification in grades 1–6, to extend their certification to birth–grade 2.
Through classroom instruction and student-teaching experiences you’ll learn to engage children from birth–grade 2 and gain competency in other key areas, including:
- Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum (DAC)
- Reasoning and content-area concepts
- Creative expression
- Organizing and planning for creative teaching in early childhood settings
- Collaborating with parents, professionals and administrators
- Meeting the needs of young children with exceptional learning needs
- Assessment — including formal, informal and authentic assessment — and using assessment for planning
- Organizing and implementing developmentally appropriate early childhood programs
- Available at the main and branch campuses
- Broaden your skill-set and open doors to new job opportunities
- Apply 12 credits earned in this program toward M.S. Ed. Teaching and Learning
Certificate in Early Childhood Education, Birth–Grade 2 (12 cr.)
General admission criteria include a completed graduate study application, three recommendations, statement of purpose or intent, and official transcripts. Requirements for this program include:
- Evidence of a 3.0 undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores
- Individuals (with the exception of Special Education Grades 7–12 program candidates) must supply a copy of NYS teaching certificate at the elementary and/or secondary level OR a written explanation of how all NYSED requirements (including exams) for such a certificate will be completed prior to matriculation
- Early childhood education, birth-grade 2 early childhood course curriculum (351kB PDF document, requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view)
- Childhood education, birth–grade 6 course descriptions
Please note: Students enrolled in this graduate certificate program are not eligible to receive federal aid.
Questions, Comments, Information?
For information about the Certificate in Birth–Grade 2 Early Childhood Education at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Heidi Schnackenberg, Ph.D.
Professor, Teacher Education Unit
Program Area Coordinator, M.S.Ed. Graduate Programs Office Location: Sibley Hall 309
Phone: (518) 564-5143
Fax: (518) 564-2149
Phone: (518) 564-2125