Special Education Programs at SUNY Plattsburgh
Our faculty is committed to preparing educators who are:
- Competent, caring, and qualified,
- Anchored in the liberal arts,
- Practice effective pedagogy,
- Reflect on the teaching and learning process, and
- Exemplify ethical, human, and democratic principles.
We offer a new, state-of-the-art, combined B.S. in Childhood Education and M.S.Ed. in Special Education program, as well as four M.S.Ed. Special Education graduate degree programs.
You’ll participate in a special education graduate program that provides an up-to-date curriculum that incorporates literacy and special education. You’ll benefit from extensive field experience in a variety of classroom settings. In the combined B.S./M.S.Ed. program, you'll even start teaching in your first undergraduate semester. Finally, you’ll receive personal advisement from experienced full-time faculty.
Through close relationships with faculty and peers, and excellent teaching — in our classrooms and in the schools — both our combined program and our special education graduate programs will fulfill your degree and teacher certification requirements.
Programs of Study
- Combined Undergraduate Childhood Education (B.S.) and Graduate Special Education (M.S. Ed.) Program
- Graduate Programs in Special Education:
- M.S Ed. Birth to Grade 2 (36 credits)
- M.S.Ed. Birth to Grade 6 (48 credits)
- M.S.Ed. Grades 1 to 6 (39 credit)
- M.S.Ed. Grades 7 to 12 Generalist (42 credits)
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like to learn more about our programs in special education at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Heidi Schnackenberg, Ph.D.
Program Area Coordinator, Master of Science in Education Programs
Office: Sibley Hall 309
Phone: (518) 564-5143
Fax: (518) 564-2149
Cynthia McCarty, MSED, SDA
Lecturer, Teacher Education Unit
Program Leader, BSMSED/Masters in Special Education
Office: Sibley Hall 200B
Phone: (518) 564-5131