Special Education & Childhood Education Combined Program
Engage with Children in Grades 1–6 Your First Year Here
Get Started with Field Experience
- Our teacher candidates have over 500 hours of field experience prior to student teaching.
- Our updated course content builds on undergraduate childhood study by teams of faculty; including instructors from childhood, special, and literacy education, working collaboratively to develop course syllabi and to team teach.
- Benefit from close relationships with faculty and peers, and excellent teaching — in the college classroom and in elementary schools.
Be Qualified for Teacher Certification in Four Areas
Our combined program will fulfill degree requirements for certification in 4 teaching certification areas:
- Childhood education grades 1–6
- Special education grades 1–6
- Childhood education Birth–2nd grade
- Special education Birth–2nd grade
- Learn more about certification requirements including required tests.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Childhood Education (115–123 credits)
Masters of Science (M.S.Ed.) in Special Education (54 credits)
The degree has different parts:
- General education courses required for all students (minimum of 33–34).
- Childhood education courses and extensive field experience (50 credits).
- 30 to 38 credits in the generalist concentration with a min of 30 credits. Also 10 credits of cognates.
- Enter special education graduate classes in your 7th semester with paying undergraduate prices.
- Combined program in childhood and special education course curriculum (351kB PDF requires the free Acrobat Reader)
- Education course descriptions
- Special education course descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like to learn more about our programs in special education at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Heidi Schnackenberg, Ph.D.
Program Area Coordinator, Master of Science in Education Programs
Office: Sibley Hall 309
Phone: (518) 564-5143
Fax: (518) 564-2149
Cynthia McCarty, MSED, SDA
Lecturer, Teacher Education Unit
Program Leader, BSMSED/Masters in Special Education
Office: Sibley Hall 200B
Phone: (518) 564-5131