Special Education Master’s Programs
You value those with disabilities and want to become one of the outstanding educators who works with special needs students.
Through guided internship experiences and an up-to-date curriculum, we will prepare you to be a competent, caring and qualified educator. State-of-the-art instructional, behavioral and communication technologies ensure you’ll learn to work with students of every skill level.
- Leads to professional NYSED teaching certification
- Flexible: Study full-time or part-time in convenient afternoon and evening courses
- Master core pedagogy while engaging in content-specific work
- Tailored programs and electives allow you to pursue your unique interests and focus on areas of particular need, such as instructional technology, linguistics and children’s literature
Master of Education (M.S.Ed.) in Special Education (36–48 credits)
General admission criteria include a completed graduate study application, three recommendations, statement of purpose or intent, and official transcripts. Requirements include:
- Minimum of a 3.0 undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores
- Individuals (with the exception of special education grades 7–12 program candidates) must supply a copy of NYS teaching certificate at the elementary and/or secondary level OR a written explanation of how all NYSED requirements (including exams) for such a certificate will be completed prior to matriculation
Admission Deadline: rolling admission, apply at least six weeks before the start of the fall, spring or summer semesters.
- Special education, birth to grade 2 course curriculum
- Special education, birth to grade 6 course curriculum
- Special education, grades 1 to 6 course curriculum
- Special education, grades 7–12 course curriculum
- Special education course descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like to learn more about our programs in special education at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Heidi Schnackenberg, Ph.D.
Program Area Coordinator, Master of Science in Education Programs
Office: Sibley Hall 309
Phone: (518) 564-5143
Fax: (518) 564-2149
Cynthia McCarty, MSED, SDA
Lecturer, Teacher Education Unit
Program Leader, BSMSED/Masters in Special Education
Office: Sibley Hall 200B
Phone: (518) 564-5131