The Major in Expeditionary Studies
Expeditionary studies helped me realize a lifelong dream of working in the outdoors and sharing my passion with others. The program gave me the opportunity to experience many new places in the world while learning many valuable lessons from its experienced professors.
In the Expeditionary Studies major you will learn...
- the multi-faceted layers of expedition planning;
- that risk management is a process of identifying risk potential, frequency, and seriousness requiring assessment, intervention, and decision-making;
- to design expeditions or adventure learning opportunities;
- to model outdoor leadership as the complex, unifying, and dynamic body of theory and praxis that it is;
- to operate in outdoor adventure settings at an advanced skill level;
- advanced-level adventure skills and thinking.
Bachelor of Science in Expeditionary Studies (120 credits)
The expeditionary studies program begins with an intensive first-semester schedule, establishing a broad foundation skill set and introducing you to all our disciplines. By the time you enroll in your senior-level courses, you’ll be assisting in teaching and leading lower-level students, always under direct supervision of your faculty.
- Expeditionary studies major course curriculum
- Expeditionary studies course descriptions
- Learn more about the field of expeditionary studies
We invite you to learn more about expeditionary studies at SUNY Plattsburgh. Please feel free to contact the chair.
Jerry Isaak, Chair
Office: 102 Broad Street
Phone: (518) 564-5292
Email: [email protected]