Fitness Administration Area of Study
Learn How to Run a Fitness-Based Business
This portion of the fitness and wellness leadership major establishes an academic standard in the training and education of students in business administration and fitness management. Specific learning topics include accounting, fitness management, finance, economics, marketing and advertising, entrepreneurship, personnel management, customer service, and business administration concepts.
It enables you to develop a knowledge and understanding of the operational and management requirements of modern health and fitness facilities and to help you gain promotion with your future employers. You will learn how a health and fitness facility is managed from the design and technical considerations, operations and management, marketing, and member retention.
In your final year in the major, you will complete a capstone course titled Fitness Management. In the Fitness Management course you will learn how to implement a business plan to establish your own personal training company or fitness related-business upon graduation if you desire.
The Fitness Administration Segment Allows You To:
- Learn operations and financial management techniques:
- Evaluate the internal and external influences on the current and future market position of the health, medical, and fitness industry.
- Apply effective marketing techniques to develop services and programming opportunities to clients, members, and niche markets.
- Incorporate the principles of financial management and their application to budget planning, preparation and performance.
- Identify different business entities from corporations to partnerships.
- Manage systems, staff, and customers:
- Identify the processes for effective customer recruitment and retention and their importance in maximizing income generation within a health and fitness facilities.
- Apply the principles of motivation theory toward the effective management of individuals and employees.
- Evaluate procedures and systems to ensure the effective and efficient use of resources to achieve consistent service delivery for your clients and members.
- Start a fitness/personal training business:
- Develop a business plan and perform a demographic analysis for the feasibility of starting a new business venture.
- Create financial statement, budgets, and review capital funding options.
- Develop human resource systems for employees and contractors.
Earn a Business or Marketing Minor with Just a Few More Classes
- Marketing Minor requires only 2 additional (3 credits each) courses.
- Business Minor requires only 1 additional course (3 credits).
If you have any questions about the fitness and wellness leadership program, please feel free to contact me:
Ken Baldwin, Program Coordinator
Office: Memorial Hall 214
Phone: (518) 564-3149
Email: [email protected]