Fitness and Wellness Leadership Master
100% Online Master’s Program
- All courses can be completed online to fit your busy work and personal schedule
- Gain expertise in exercise science and training
- Learn business management techniques
- Take an internship in your area of focus, where you choose
- Be prepared to work in a variety of settings — private, public, or medical
Our master’s degree in fitness and wellness leadership addresses the challenge of busy working professionals or for those who have limited time to attend courses at a traditional on-site campus. We require no class-time on campus. All 13 courses are 100% fully online, allowing you to live anywhere while completing the degree. In addition, you can do an internship that allows you to work with faculty on selecting a site that matches your area of focus, close to your home or city of interest.
Enter or Advance Your Standing in One of the Fastest Growing Industries
Our courses were created with input from industry professionals, internship affiliates, and national organizations. The program is for both those starting a career in the emerging fitness, health, and wellness industry and those who are already actively involved in the industry. Our coursework integrates exercise science (biomechanics, physiology, exercise program design), resistance/strength training, certification preparation, and fitness management/business concepts (accounting, marketing, and management) — synthesized into a logical, progressive learning sequence.
The graduate program specifically addresses the needs of the public and employers by combining the fundamentals of exercise science with the essential components of a business curriculum to prepare students for careers as personal trainers, sports performance instructors, directors, general managers, owners, or fitness consultants.
Graduates may work in organizations that include medically-based fitness facilities, gyms/health clubs, personal training studios, physical therapy clinics, corporate fitness centers, senior centers, sports performance facilities, college/university recreational centers, and YMCAs. The program combines a theoretical framework with training skills that are necessary to prepare students for certification testing from national organizations such as ACSM, NSCA, and others.
Master of Science in Fitness and Wellness Leadership (30–33 cr.)
- M.S. in Fitness and Wellness Leadership course curriculum
- Fitness and wellness leadership course descriptions
To be considered for admission, you are required to meet the following requirements:
- Submission of a completed Application for Graduate Study
- Submit official undergraduate transcripts from an accredited university.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Candidates with a GPA below the required minimum 2.50 GPA will be considered if they submit two additional professional letters of recommendation indicating the applicant’s ability to pursue graduate study.
- Completion of a statement of purpose and a resume.
- Applicants will be asked to participate in an interview via phone/SKYPE for acceptance into the program.
- Availability of program openings.
Application Deadline: The application calendar is flexible, allowing for rolling or open admissions throughout the year any semester (fall, winter, spring, or summer) in which you wish to begin. Please begin the application process 3 weeks prior to the semester you would like to start.
We invite you to learn more about the online master’s degree in fitness and wellness leadership at SUNY Plattsburgh. Please feel free to contact the program coordinator.
Ken Baldwin, Program Coordinator
Office: 101 Broad Street
Phone: (518) 564-3149