Online Geography Resources
- Association of American Geographers: Find out the latest developments and opportunities in the field of geography, what it will take to get a good job, what you can do as a geographer, and much more.
- GIS Clearinghouse: The Clearinghouse, operated by the New York State Office for Technology, was established to disseminate information about New York's Statewide GIS Coordination Program and to provide access to the New York State GIS Metadata and Data Repository.
- Internet Map Resources: A thorough collection of map resources
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS): The USGS is an important source of digital cartographic data and other information and data on topics such as: water use, geology, earthquakes, hurricanes and other severe storms, minerals, biology and recreation. An especially useful portion of this web site focuses on GIS and has sections on What is GIS? How does GIS work? What is special about GIS? And Applications of GIS.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): The NOAA concentrates on marine and aeronautical navigation systems that electronically integrate digital charts, global positioning systems-based locations, and real-time environmental information. Examples are the daily weather map, satellite and radar images, and maps used by pilots and air traffic control. NOAA web site links include information such as: beach temperatures, information on coral reefs, a live webcam at the North Pole and 3-D weather images.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census: The mapping of the U.S. Census Bureau is to support the decennial census by generating street-level address maps for use by the thousands of census enumerators. For this the Census Bureau developed a system called TIGER (topologically integrated geographic encoding and referencing). This web site includes a great deal of geographic data, especially socio-economic data from the 2000 Census.
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about geography at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Dr. Edwin Romanowicz, Director
Office: Hudson Hall 132
Phone: (518) 564-2028
Toll-Free Phone: (877) 554-1041
Fax: (518) 564-5267
Email: [email protected]