Individualized Studies Program at SUNY Plattsburgh
Create Your Own Major
If your interests cut across traditional disciplines or departments, or your career or professional goals cannot be met by other programs at Plattsburgh, the individualized studies major can help meet your needs. You can create your own major with the help of a faculty advisor.
Choose a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree
A bachelor of arts degree must include a minimum of 90 credit hours in liberal arts courses; a bachelor of science degree must include a minimum of 60 credit hours in liberal arts courses. Both options require completion of SUNY Plattsburgh’s General Education Program, 42 credits of courses at the 300-400 level, and 120 total credits. Both options require 1–3 credits of intensive writing through the INT 402 course, in addition to completion of an advanced writing course in a minor or concentration (or ENG 301 or other approved AWR course).
Students requesting this major will meet with the individualized studies program coordinator to determine if option 1 or 2 would best meet their needs and to obtain proposal forms.
- Option 1: Contractual studies — The student will work with a faculty advisor to develop a program including a capstone experience. The Individualized Studies Committee must approve the program. The student should enroll in the major before the end of the junior year.
- Option 2: General studies — The student will work with a faculty advisor to develop a program. The dean of the division overseeing the majority of the courses must approve the program. The student can enroll in general studies at any point in their studies.
- B.A. in Individualized Studies course curriculum
- B.S. in Individualized Studies course curriculum
- Minor in Individualized Studies course curriculum
- SUNY Plattsburgh course descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
For more information about individualized studies at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Dr. Kathleen Lavoie
Office: Hudson Hall 101
Phone: (518) 564-3150