Major in International Business
Learn How to Successfully Manage Business in a Global Environment
What Is International Business?
International business focuses on the challenges of managing businesses in diverse legal, political, economic, and cultural environments.
Why Study International Business?
- Economies of countries are becoming more and more interdependent.
- Companies now have to deal, either voluntarily or involuntarily, with international issues.
- Successful businesses are aware of events, cultures, and regulations outside their own.
In light of this, it is crucial that managers have a global perspective on business and a good understanding of the information technology infrastructure needed to conduct business on an international scale.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in International Business
The international business major prepares you for the increasingly competitive and interdependent international business world. This program emphasizes strategic planning and decision-making for the international operations of domestic, foreign, and multinational corporations.
Exploring business issues from different cultural perspectives, you will learn how differences in attitudes, lifestyles, and social values within and between countries impact organizations. This understanding of cultural influence on the perception of ethics and social responsibility will help you as a manager effectively deal with ethical dilemmas.
Our International Business Major Allows You To:
- Assess the causes and consequences of globalization
- Appreciate the impact of political stability and instability in the world on business decisions
- Examine the consequences of investment flows between countries and assess the risks associated with exchange rate fluctuations
- Compare different strategies used to enter overseas markets such joint ventures, strategic alliances and multinational production
- Understand the effect of cultural exports on local societies and the ethical issues involved
- Learn how regional economic groupings affect the way international business organizations market their products
- Appreciate the impact that international laws; such as consumer laws, international standards, restrictions on commercial practice and international trading laws; have on international business organizations
- International business major course curriculum (671kB PDF, requires the free Acrobat Reader)
- Management course descriptions
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about international business at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Dr. Ray Guydosh, Coordinator
Office: Au Sable Hall, Room 331
Phone: (518) 564-3185