Online Learning at SUNY Plattsburgh
How Many Students are Learning Online (at a Distance)?
“Every year since 2003 when the Babson Survey Research Group first began tracking online enrollment numbers, the number of students taking at least one online course has grown at a rate greater than that of the overall higher education student body.”
—Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the United States, 2014
Advance your career. Expand your mind.
Online programs and courses offer convenient alternatives to traditional classroom-based courses. Some online courses require partial classroom attendance, while others are exclusively online.
- For adult learners busy with jobs, family, and other responsibilities, online studies bring greater freedom. The wide range of available courses makes it easy to find the subject that’s right for you.
- Enrolled students appreciate the convenience of online courses when used as supplements to their regular classroom studies.
We offer studies to fit your needs: full-time, part-time, anytime
- Are you considering college study as a way to enhance your intellectual life or improve your career outlook?
- Are you a SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury student looking for online study options?
- Are you an enrolled Plattsburgh student who is looking for greater scheduling flexibility?
- Are you interested in online courses that you can take without having to enroll in a degree program?
What makes online learners successful?
A sincere desire to learn is one of the most powerful qualities any student can possess. Successful online students also possess academic confidence. They practice self-discipline, work well independently, are honest, and are prepared to participate on a regular basis. Excellent time-management and information-management skills are important requirements for online learners.
What basic skills do I need?
Online study is not for everyone. If you lack basic computer and/or written communication skills, we recommend that you develop those skills in a different learning environment before registering for an online course. Online courses require as much time as attending classes and completing assignments for campus courses. The consequences for not completing an online course are the same as those for a traditional course. All coursework is documented on your official college transcript.
Take this free self assessment to find out if you are ready for online courses.
What about equipment?
You’ll need a personal computer connected to the Internet. We can help you to determine the right hardware and software that you need to begin online study.
Explore a practice online course now
Course and program choices
SUNY Plattsburgh teaches a wide variety of courses online, as well as a complete online degree track in nursing.
- Browse current online courses at SUNY Plattsburgh
- Learn about our online RN-to-BS program
- Learn about our online Master of Science in Expeditionary Studies
- Learn about out Masters of Science in Fitness and Wellness Leadership
- View cost information.
If you are not enrolled in a degree track and would simply like to sign up for courses, you need to register as a non-matriculated student. You can then select your courses.
If you are not enrolled in a degree program but would like to enroll, begin by applying for admission to the college. Once accepted, you can take courses online and in classroom settings. Note that only the RN-to-BS program is completely online.
For more information about online learning at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact us:
John Locke, TEL Coordinator
Online Learning Office
Phone: (518) 564-4537
Library & Information Technology Services
2 Draper Avenue
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Note: When communicating with us about online courses and programs, please provide as much information as possible, including your name, student status, and contact information. If you are interested in a specific course, please let us know the title and semester. We look forward to hearing from you!