Major in Philosophy
Our Philosophy Major Allows You To
- Develop analytical skills.
- Learn to carefully express ideas through speaking and writing.
- Gain a strong foundation in philosophy with our 36 credit major while maximizing the flexibility to pursue your own interests in philosophy, and in allied fields.
- Benefit from our strong faculty commitment to quality instruction and advisement. The department faculty also includes a distinguished teaching professor.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Science (B.S.) in Philosophy (120 credits)
The B.A. or B.S. in Philosophy requires 36 academic credits, normally twelve 3 credit courses. Each student must complete the foundational courses: Introduction to Philosophy (PHI 102), two courses in the history of Western philosophy (PHI 210 and PHI 211), and Symbolic Logic (PHI 213). Students must also complete a philosophy course designated to fulfill the college wide Advanced Writing Requirement (AWR). Students will consult with their advisor to select the remaining 24 credits.
- View the philosophy major course curriculum. Note: this 747kB PDF file requires the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
- View philosophy course descriptions.
For more information about the philosophy program at SUNY Plattsburgh please contact
Kurtis Hagen, Chair
Office: Champlain Valley Hall 303
Phone: (518) 564-2834