Community & Public Services
The Northcountry Planetarium at SUNY Plattsburgh is committed to and providing quality astronomy and space science awareness for our local community.
Our planetarium facility performs as a 360 degree multimedia sky theater, allowing visitors to experience live, interactive programs as well as automated productions that feature realistic night skies and virtual journeys through our solar system and distance deep space phenomena.
Please join us in our quest to help children of all ages expand their universe.
Notes and Reminders to consider when planning a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium
- Please keep in mind we are planetarium, not an observatory. Our ceiling does not open to reveal the actual night sky to be observed with a telescope; rather our dome shaped ceiling remains closed and acts as a hemispherical projection screen for the planetarium projector to accurately simulate the celestial phenomena of the night sky as well as their locations and natural motions.
- Due to the nature of the delicate optics, electronics and other equipment food, beverages and gum are not allowed in the planetarium theater.
- Cellular telephones, laptops, flash cameras and all other electronic devices should be turned off and stowed prior to entry into the planetarium theater.
- Parents and/or other adult chaperons must remain in the planetarium theater with their children throughout the entire presentation.
- As it is the nature of our facility to accurately simulate the night sky, the planetarium theater will become dark, very dark. Please advise and prepare your group or family members accordingly prior to your arrival.
- Due to limited parking in the Hudson Hall area, large numbers of cars or buses may be directed to other parking venues. The closest designated parking for planetarium guests is the Hawkins Hall P2 parking lot (click here to see campus parking map) which is accessible from Cornelia Street. Should P2 be full, or otherwise unavailable, please be prepared to walk across campus from neighboring parking areas or drop guests at either the Hawkins Hall vehicle pull-out on Beekman Street or the Hudson Hall front entrance and then park your bus or vehicles elsewhere on campus. For further information about arrival and parking options please call our staff at (518) 564-3168 anytime Monday–Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Please note that the Northcountry Planetarium may be closed or operate under limited hours during regularly scheduled college holidays and recesses such as Thanksgiving, Winter Recess, Spring Break, Summer Recess, etc.
Special Interest Groups
As the Northcountry Planetarium at SUNY Plattsburgh is committed to promoting and providing quality astronomy and space science awareness for our local community, we are delighted to host presentations and workshops for special interest groups, clubs and other social organizations. Please consider a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium when planning outings and activities for your special interest group or club.
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
To learn more about the Northcountry Planetarium at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Office: Hudson Hall 104
Phone: (518) 564-3168
Fax: (518) 564-3175
Like us on Facebook: