Major in Social Work
Our Social Work Major Allows You To:
- Prepare for generalist practice in a wide range of agencies
- Benefit from one-to-one contact with caring, supportive faculty
- Gain hands-on experience through professional, agency based internships
- Study in a program fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- After earning your B.S.W., be eligible to complete an M.S.W. in one year
- Be eligible for membership in:
- National Association of Social Workers
- Phi Alpha Honor Society: A National Honor Society for Social Work Students
- Participate in the Social Work Student Association
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Social Work
The social work program prepares students for generalist professional practice in a wide range of agencies, including social services, health, mental health, developmental disabilities, education, aging, youth services, addictions, and related organizations. The social work program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
The social work program is completed in the junior and senior years. The curriculum includes both course work and an agency-based field internship under professional supervision. In the freshman and sophomore years, social work students complete a liberal arts base that includes the general education requirements. Both SUNY Plattsburgh students and transfer students may apply for admission to the social work program.
Practicum and internship candidates are expected to follow the external and professional practicum guidelines appropriate to their discipline. Successful completion of the social work program leads to the bachelor of science with a major in social work.
Benefits of a B.S. in Social Work
Students earning this degree are recognized as B.S.W.s within the profession of social work and are eligible for membership in the National Association of Social Workers.
Graduates of Plattsburgh's nationally accredited B.S.W. program are eligible for advanced standing M.S.W. programs, enabling the completion of an M.S.W. degree in one year.
- B.S. in Social Work major course curriculum
- Social work course descriptions
- Course sequence outline of the B.S. in Social Work
Questions, Comments, Suggestions?
If you would like more information about social work at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact
Marty Frost, Ed.D., CFCS, Interim Chair
Office: Ward Hall 107-E
Phone: (518) 564-4173
Fax: (518) 564-4161
Email: [email protected]