Fast Facts About SUNY Plattsburgh
About Our Campuses
SUNY Plattsburgh is a residential campus, located in a small city. SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury is a branch campus, offering selected undergraduate and graduate programs. Both campuses are walkable, safe, and scenic.
- College Type: Four-year, public comprehensive college
- Undergraduate Enrollment: 5,377
- Graduate Enrollment: 341
- International Enrollment: 339
- Countries Represented: 65
- Average Class Size: 22
- Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 16:1
- Male/Female Balance: 44% male, 56% female
- Percentage of tenure-track faculty holding the highest degree in their field: 97%
Applications should have a solid, college-preparatory background in high school and an academic average of "B" or better. We recommend a combined SAT score of 1080 or higher on the new SAT (or 1000 or higher on the old SAT)*, or an ACT composite of 21 or higher. Supplemental factors include class rank, an essay, letters of support, leadership and community service activities, and special talent. For more information, please visit our Freshman Admissions homepage. (*Note - scores will not be super scored across the new SAT and old SAT exams.)
- High School Average Range for Freshman: 85-91
- SAT Range: 1070-1190 (new SAT range); 990-1120 (old SAT range)
- ACT Range: 21-25
First Generation Students
Becoming a first generation student is something to be very proud of. Nearly half of our student population identify as the first person in their family to attend a four-year college.
Minimum grade point average requirements vary according to program, usually between 2.3 and 2.75. The middle 50% range for entering transfers is 2.6-3.3. Students with fewer than twenty-four credits at the time of application must also meet freshman admission requirements.
Students looking to pursue Communication Disorders and Sciences, Social Work, or Nursing (RN-to-BS Option) must have a minimum 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA to transfer. Likewise, students looking to pursuing either Adolescence Education or Childhood Education will need a minimum 3.00 or higher cumulative GPA.
For more information about transferring to SUNY Plattsburgh, please visit our Transfer Admissions homepage.
Our graduate degree programs offer you opportunities for professional enhancement, professional certification, and personal academic enrichment. Prospective students applying for matriculation into a Master's Degree or Certificate of Advanced Study Program should visit Graduate Admissions for more information.
SUNY Plattsburgh offers more than 60 degree programs within three academic schools:
- Arts and Science
- School of Business and Economics (AACSB accredited)
- Education, Health, and Human Services
Our expansive internship programs provides students with practical experiences and important job connections. Students can further enhance their studies by choosing from an extensive network of study abroad and national student exchange programs.
Companies such as IBM and the Washington Internship Institute actively recruit our students for both internships and jobs. These experiences often lead to successful career opportunities and quick advancement for our alumni, who have ended up landing positions such as the Vice President of Morgan Stanley in New York City.
A Rich and Diverse Environment
Our geographic location is another highly prized asset that is a benefit to students. The Green Mountains of Vermont and New York's Adirondacks rise majestically above the Lake Champlain Valley, a U.N.-designated biosphere and focus of environmental study.
Plattsburgh is an hour's drive from Montreal, Lake Placid, and Burlington. The region provides students with rich recreational and cultural experiences. A range of movie theaters, restaurants and shopping malls are nearby.
Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish faiths are served by local churches and a synagogue, and by campus religious organizations.
Mass transit provides transportation access from all parts of the northeastern United States.
About 89.5 percent of SUNY Plattsburgh students are New York State residents. However, no resident quotas are used in admission. In fact, we take pride in the diversity of our campus, and actively recruit students from approximately 23 states and over 60 countries. Special grants are available to these students.
Approximately 1000 freshmen, 900 transfers, and 100 graduate students enroll each year.
Campus activities abound in the residential, seven-day-a-week atmosphere. More than 100+ student organizations span cultural, social, academic, and recreational interests. In addition to intercollegiate athletics, intramural and club sports are popular.
All residence halls are equipped with wireless Internet connections. Each dorm room is equipped with two high-speed wired computer connections to the College's network and the Internet. Wireless zones and online computer stations are available throughout the campus.
Support for Students
Many special programs and support services exist for students:
- Educational Opportunity Program (E.O.P.) is offered to qualified students needing extra academic and financial support.
- Student Support Services provides academic, personal, and career counseling for eligible physically and learning-challenged students.
- Clark Learning Center offers free peer tutoring, computer-assisted instruction, writing and study skills seminars, and academic counseling to all students.
- Career Development Center assists students with all aspects of career planning and job placement, and offers many internships that let students gain hands-on career experiences prior to graduation.
- An active Honors Program provides qualified students with special opportunities for academic challenges and personal growth
Need A Place to Stay?
Staying in Plattsburgh is easy. Due to active tourism in the region, there are several major hotel chains within a short distance to the campus of the campus and a variety of different ways to get you here.
The Admissions Office is located on the 10th floor of the Kehoe Building.
Phone: (518) 564-2040
Toll-free: (888) 673-0012
Fax: (518) 564-2045
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901