Freshman Admissions

Freshman Facts

Information For

Schedule a campus visit.

Codes You Need to Know

  • SUNY Application: 44
  • SAT: 2544
  • ACT: 2944
  • Federal School Code: 002849
  • NYS Tap (Undergraduate Code): 0940

Information for Incoming Freshmen with College Credit Earned in High School

Note: Download the instructions for completing the Freshmen with College Credit Worksheet (PDF file size 82 Kb)

Have you challenged yourself throughout high school by taking Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or college-level courses? Well, here at SUNY Plattsburgh, we want to award you for your achievement by accepting those courses as transfer credit. Learn more about:

Transferring your advanced credits to SUNY Plattsburgh is easy - just follow these five simple steps:

Step 1: Determine What Kind of College Credit You Are Receiving

Talk to your school counselor, teachers, and parents to figure out if you are taking AP, IB, CLEP or college-level classes. This is important because it can affect the way your course(s) will transfer to SUNY Plattsburgh.

Hint: If you have paid a college or university to take the class, you are receiving college-level credit. But, if you are sitting for an exam, you are taking an AP, IB, or a CLEP course.

Step 2: Fill out the Worksheet for Freshmen with College Credit

The Admissions Office needs to know the courses that you are taking for college credit in order to start the initial transfer process. So, carefully fill out the online Worksheet for Freshmen with College Credit to ensure accuracy, as this can affect the registration process during summer orientation. The Freshmen with College Credit form will be available online in your MyPlattsburgh account after you have been accepted and have paid your admissions deposit. If you do not have any college credit that you want to transfer, complete the worksheet stating that you do not have any college level coursework. Note that this worksheet is for advisement and registration purposes only.

As soon as you are accepted and know that you plan to transfer your credit, begin contacting the colleges/testing agencies for your transcripts and/or score reports to be sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Note: Download the instructions for completing the Freshmen with College Credit Worksheet (PDF file size 82 Kb)

Step 3: Receive Your Preliminary Credit Estimate

Submitting the online Worksheet for Freshmen with College Credit will give you a preliminary credit estimate, which will show any college-level courses that you should earn credit for, and how they will transfer to SUNY Plattsburgh.  You can only list AP coursework or coursework taken through another institution on the worksheet. If you received credit though IB, CLEP or any other examination, the Admissions Office will review your credit once the official score report is sent directly to the Admissions Office. Bring your scores from the other examinations to orientation to assist with course registration.

Print your credit estimate and bring it with you to orientation in the summer. This estimate will assist faculty with the advisement process.

Step 4: Send Your Official Transcript or Score Report

Official transcript and/or AP/IB/CLEP score reports are required to officially transfer your credit and to create your official credit evaluation. Credit listed on the worksheet is not considered official until all transcripts and/or score reports are received in the Undergraduate Admissions Office. Transcripts are considered official when sent from the institution and score reports are considered official when sent directly from the testing agency. Scores listed on high school transcripts are not considered official.

For Advanced Placement (AP) credit, send an official score report from the College Board or have your school counseling office report it on your official high school transcript.

For International Baccalaureate (IB) credit, the Admissions Office will need an official score report from the International Baccalaureate Organization.

If you have earned college-level credits, request an official transcript from the Registrar's Office at the institution where you have earned the credit after your grade is posted. Admissions cannot accept a grade report or a copy of your transcript.

Step 5: Receive Your Official Credit Evaluation

The Admissions Office will post your credit evaluation (Degree Works Audit) to your MyPlattsburgh account once it receives your official AP, IB, CLEP or college-level transcripts. Again, check your Degree Works Audit for accuracy and report any issues to the Admissions Office. If you have multiple transcripts and/or score reports, your credit evaluation will be updated as each transcript/score report arrives.


Contact Information

The Admissions Office is located on the 10th floor of the Kehoe Building.

Phone: (518) 564-2040
Toll-free: (888) 673-0012
Fax: (518) 564-2045
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901