Graduate Assistantships at SUNY Plattsburgh
SUNY Plattsburgh offers graduate assistantships for well-qualified, full-time matriculated graduate students. These positions are designed to allow the opportunity to grow professionally while pursuing graduate study. The three types of graduate assistantships offered in various departments and offices at SUNY Plattsburgh include:
Administrative Assistants - Provide programmatic and administrative support to various offices around campus.
Research/Teaching Assistants - Associated with academic departments on campus and may involve students in the following kinds of learning experiences: tutoring, supervising laboratories and clinics, conducting research, and assisting faculty with scholarly and pedagogical endeavors.
Residence Hall Directors - Responsible for all managerial and programmatic aspects of operating a residence hall and supervises a staff of undergraduate resident assistants.
2018-2019 Position Openings
The February 15 application deadline has now passed. The below position descriptions will remain online throughout the Spring 2018 hiring process.
- Alumni Relations
- Counselor Education Department
- Global Education Office
- Learning Center
- Residence Life
- Student Involvement
How to Apply
- Part One - The 2018-2019 application is now closed. Look for the 2019-2020 application to become available in December 2018.
- Part Two - The employment application on the Human Resource Services webpage, which includes uploading a cover letter and resume. Only one cover letter can be submitted, so please speak broadly about your skills and abilities if you are applying to multiple positions.
Note: You may wish to add a list of references to your resume, or upload an additional document when you apply through Human Resource Services.
Graduate Assistant Requirements
- Graduate assistants must be full-time, matriculated students (enrolled in 12+ credit hours) at the start of the appointment period. A graduate student who withdraws or reduces enrollment from full-time to part-time status may jeopardize the stipend and tuition scholarship which affects tuition liability.
- With permission, exceptions may be granted to the full-time status requirement, allowing a graduate assistant to enroll in 9 credit hours if the assistantship is directly related to the educational program, or when the assistantship is housed within their academic department. To request a reduced course load, please complete the following form and submit it to Graduate Admissions: Graduate Assistant Reduced Course Load Request
- Continuing students need to communicate with their supervisor about renewing their position. Assistantships may be renewed for up to two years after the initial appointment, depending on availability of the position and approval of the assistantship supervisor.
- Maintenance of good academic standing (3.0 GPA or higher) is a requirement for continuation and/or reappointment.
- Graduate assistants must obtain permission before accepting any additional employment opportunities, inside or outside of the College.
Facts About Graduate Assistantships
- Full-time graduate assistantships offer an in-state tuition scholarship and a stipend. Residence Directors also receive housing and a partial meal plan.
- Typically, positions are awarded with a fall start date, and a 2 semester appointment (1 academic year).
- Occasionally a position may become available in the spring semester - please inquire as to the availability of these.
- Graduate assistants, in addition to their status as students, are employees of the State University of New York and are represented by the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU). The terms and conditions of their employment are determined through collective bargaining and are enumerated in the agreement between GSEU and the State University of New York.
- Not all graduate assistantships are available every year.
- Applications are reviewed by the department offering the assistantship(s). The department will be in touch should they wish to schedule an interview.
- Assistantship opportunities are open to first time graduate students, as well as returning and continuing students.
For more information about Graduate Assistantships at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Graduate Admissions Office
Phone: (518) 564-GRAD (4723)
Toll-Free: (800) 723-9515
FAX: (518) 564-4722