Graduate Admissions

Information For


Tuition & Costs

Apply Now

Branch Campus

Contact Us

Getting Here


Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Programs at SUNY Plattsburgh

Does Plattsburgh offer online graduate programs?

Answer: Yes, the Fitness & Wellness Leadership (M.S.) program and Teacher Leadership graduate certificate program are both 100% online.  The Teacher Leadership certificate can also be pursued in a hybrid format, with some in-class coursework and some online.  The School Building Leader and School District Leader programs have a hybrid structure as well, with 50% of coursework offered online.  We continue to work to expand our online study options!

Can I submit my application after the deadline?

Answer: If you're ever wondering whether you have missed a deadline, please contact us to see!  Very often late applications are accepted, with the exception of the Speech-Language Pathology program, which has a strict February 1 deadline.  Some programs only accept new students for certain semesters, so be sure to visit the Dates and Deadlines page for more information. Also keep in mind that if you're applying for the fall semester after February 15, you will not be eligible for graduate assistantships or the Diversity Fellowship.

Photo of SUNY Plattsburgh students in classroom

Do you offer graduate assistantships?

Answer: Yes. SUNY Plattsburgh currently offers approximately 25 graduate assistantship positions for well-qualified, full-time matriculated graduate students. Assistantship applications must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office by February 15th. More information about assistantships can be found on our Graduate Assistantships page, and inside your application packet.

If I graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, do I have to submit an official transcript?

Answer: No. Upon receipt of your application for admission, the Graduate Admissions Office will obtain your transcript from the Registrar's Office for use in your graduate file.  If you transferred into Plattsburgh as an undergraduate and sent your prior college transcripts to the Undergraduate Admissions office at that time, we will also obtain those documents. The only transcripts you would need to submit are those that the college has not received before, for example if you took a few graduate courses at another institution after leaving SUNY Plattsburgh.

Can I take my entrance exams (GRE/MAT) in Plattsburgh?

Answer: The GRE exam is offered year-round, by appointment, at the Prometric Testing Center in downtown Plattsburgh.  To register for the GRE, visit the Educational Testing Service website.  The Graduate Admissions Office offers the MAT exam here on campus in Plattsburgh, with test dates at our branch campus in Queensbury as well.  For more information and to view and register for upcoming test dates, visit our MAT exam webpage.  We are happy to set up an appointment if our scheduled test dates won't work for you, just email us at [email protected] to inquire.  Note: because of the need for technology staff support, exams can typically only be proctored during campus business hours, Monday through Friday, from 8am-4:30pm.

Can I take some graduate credits at SUNY Plattsburgh before I apply for admission?

Answer: Yes. If the course(s) are appropriate for the degree program you've selected, you may be able to apply from 1 to 12 credit hours earned as a non-matriculated student toward a graduate degree. To avoid any disappointments, we strongly recommend that you discuss your plans with an advisor in the appropriate department before taking any courses. Please note that no more than 12 graduate credit hours taken as a non-matriculated student (including credits earned at Plattsburgh) may be applied toward a graduate degree at Plattsburgh. You should achieve a grade of B or higher in order to use these courses toward your degree. Remember: there is a risk to taking non-matriculated graduate coursework; you may not be accepted into the graduate program when you finally get around to applying.

For more information about taking and registering for courses as a non-matriculated student, visit the Registrar's webpage and submit the Non-Matriculated Student Registration Form.

How many credits can I transfer into a graduate program at Plattsburgh?

Answer: Twelve (12) is the maximum number of credit hours that may be transferred into a master's degree program at Plattsburgh from another accredited institution or earned at Plattsburgh as a non-matriculated student.

Each transferred course must have been completed with a grade of B (3.0) or higher. Approval of transfer credit is the responsibility of the faculty of the department/program which supervises the graduate program and the dean of the appropriate division.

What is considered full-time study?

Answer: Enrollment in 12 credit hours of coursework is required for full-time status.

If I have a criminal record, can I still be considered for admission?

Answer: Yes.  State University of New York (SUNY) policy prohibits SUNY Plattsburgh’s admission applications from inquiring into an applicant’s prior criminal history.  After acceptance, the College shall inquire if the student previously has been convicted of a felony if such individual seeks campus housing or participation in clinical or field experiences, internships or study abroad programs.  The information required to be disclosed under SUNY policy regarding such felony convictions shall be reviewed by a campus committee consistent with the legal standards articulated in New York State Corrections Law.

Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions.  Students who have concerns about such matters are advised to contact the dean's office of their intended academic program.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

Answer: Yes. The application fee is a non-refundable processing fee required of all applicants, which can be paid online at by clicking on the Admission tab at the top, then on the Application Fee in your admission checklist on the right side.  EOP/HEOP/SEEK applicants should contact the Graduate Admissions Office to request a fee waiver.  Verification of enrollment in one of these programs is required if the applicant's undergraduate institution was not SUNY Plattsburgh.

How long will I have to complete my graduate degree or certificate?

Answer: For graduate degree and certificate programs requiring fewer than 60 credit hours, students must complete all degree requirements within seven years of the date of matriculation.  For graduate degree and certificate programs requiring 60 or more credit hours, students must complete all degree requirements within ten years of the date of matriculation.  If you are unsure whether you are still within the give time frame to complete your degree, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at [email protected]

What if I need to withdraw from my graduate program, either during a semester or for a couple of semesters?

Answer: Withdrawal from SUNY Plattsburgh is permissible within the guidelines specified in the General Information section of the Undergraduate and Graduate College Catalog. A Graduate Studies College Withdrawal Form must be completed and signed by your graduate program coordinator. When you plan to return to your graduate studies, you will need to complete an Intent to Return to Graduate Study Form. You will not need to pay any fees to be reinstated as a matriculated student. However, the time limitations for completion of your degree program and application of transfer credits or credits acquired in non-matriculated status does not change. Financial aid recipients should consult with a financial aid advisor to determine the impact upon their financial aid before processing a withdrawal form.

Is campus employment available?

Answer: Yes. In addition to Graduate Assistantships, graduate students may work on campus as work-study or temp employees, for up to 10 hours a week.  The Career Development Center, located in the Angell College Center, assists students in locating part-time and summer jobs through various programs, both on campus and with employers in the community. On-campus employment opportunities include part-time positions through Student Temporary Service, Research Foundation, and College Auxiliary Services as well as some campus offices. A student must be currently enrolled at SUNY Plattsburgh to use the services of the Career Development Center. Demonstration of financial need is not required.

Is campus housing available for graduate students?

Answer: Yes. Campus housing is available to graduate students who request it.  For information concerning housing options, contact the Assistant Director of Residence Life at (518)564-3824; toll-free at (800) 569-5716; or send an e-mail to [email protected].

Is child care available on campus?

Answer: Yes. The SUNY Plattsburgh Child Care Center offers a variety of full-time and part-time enrollment options. Open year-round, the center is licensed to provide developmentally appropriate early care and education for children between the ages of six weeks and five years. The center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). For information, please contact the Center at (518) 564-2274.

Still Have Questions?

Send us an email at [email protected] and we will help you out!

Contact Information

The Graduate Admissions Office is located on the first floor of the Kehoe Administration Building.

Phone: (518) 564-4723
Toll-Free: (800) 723-9515 (In U.S. and Canada)
FAX: (518) 564-4722
Email: [email protected]

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm

Mailing Address:

Graduate Admissions Office—113 Kehoe
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901-2681 USA